Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 18, 2003, 11:45 PM   #1

Default Looking for upgrade...5050 perhaps?

Hello all,

Long time reader...first time poster! ;-) Ok...enough bad humor.

I just sold my Olympus 3020Z and I am looking to upgrade to a newer camera. I was always fairly happy with the pics out of my 3020Z but I feel ready to make a leap to a 5M camera.

Camera will be used for lots of family pics, indoors and out, and we typically archive them on cd and the wife gets what she likes printed at ofoto or shutterfly to use in her scrapbooks.

I am far from a professional photographer but consider myself more of a pro-sumer when it comes to electronic products.

I also like the fact that the 5050 has the IR assist for indoor low light photos.

Everything I have read says the 5050Z is a great camera so I think it is the way to go but I have to ask...

If I was happy with my Oly 3020Z will I be estatic with a 5050Z?

Looking at the price range of a 5050z are there any other cameras you would consider a better choice?

Thanks in advance,

Kip
kipplitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2003, 3:57 PM   #2

Default Hello all...

Wow! 90+ views and not a single response...

Any who...just thought I'd post an update to my own post. I went ahead and purchased the Olympus 5050z and just started playing with it today. So far it seems like a very nice camera and a good upgrade from my 3020z.

I did look at several other cameras (Sony, Canon, Nikon) and did consider going with the Nikon...but the price of the Nikon was out of my budget where the Oly just squeaked in.

Kip
kipplitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2003, 6:39 PM   #3

Outside of this forum I know of 15-20 Olympus owners who would not think of changing to another brand. Most of them are using the C-7XX series.

Surprised myself that this question wasn't answered.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2003, 7:47 PM   #4

I think yo made a good, solid decision!
ruzicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2003, 11:41 PM   #5

Default Re: Hello all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipplitz
purchased the Olympus 5050z and just started playing with it today. So far it seems like a very nice camera and a good upgrade from my 3020z.
I also recently sold an Olympus C3020Z, but bought a Casio QV-5700. It's comprehensively and accurately described in the reviews section here on Steve's site, and similar in shape to the Olympus.

I'd probably have preferred the Olympus upgrade to C5050, but it was too much money. The Casio was over 100 ukpounds cheaper.

The Casio has an AV output (for making slide shows on VHS tape for my elderly Dad), which the Olympus didn't. I like the fact that the Casio has more external switches and buttons, so it's not so essential to go through the menu system. I don't like its default auto sensitivity setting of ISO50, which is too slow for everyday use.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote