Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 19, 2003, 4:02 PM   #1

Default Should I Buy the c-750?

I have a few concerns about the 750:

1.How are the quality of pictures at full zoom without a tripod? (i.e. is there a “halo effect” or “purple haze.”) I usually don’t carry a tripod, so I need a big zoom camera that will take good photos.

2.How does the camera perform in low lighting?

I know these were problems on previous models, and I want to know if Oly corrected this. Any photos to demonstrate these two issues would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Jon
jimundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2003, 2:00 AM   #2

Well, I hope I can answer most of your questions.
As far as 'low-light' goes, that is the dilemma with most digicams...the 1.8 fstop cameras do better...
Without a tripod?....I have problems with my C4000 if I don't use a tripod, and guess what, the 740 doesn't have image stabilization, so I'm guessing the 750 doesn't either..
The good news is the absence of chromatic aberration(purple fringe), due to the lens composition...."However, when it comes to the images the C-740UZ captures, one thing can be seen quite quickly: the chromatic aberration that could be seen under some circumstances with the previous models is not noticeable with this one.
That very major improvement can be directly traced to the use of ED glass with the C-740UZ."...quote from 'megapixel.net'...
Go to www.megapixel.net for a complete analysis, these guys do a credible job...Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 2:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoangels
Well, I hope I can answer most of your questions.
As far as 'low-light' goes, that is the dilemma with most digicams, but the 1.8 fstop cameras do better and this is one of them...
Without a tripod?....I have problems with my C4000 if I don't use a tripod, and guess what, the 740 doesn't have image stabilization, so I'm guessing the 750 doesn't either..
The good news is the absence of chromatic aberration(purple fringe), due to the lens composition...."However, when it comes to the images the C-740UZ captures, one thing can be seen quite quickly: the chromatic aberration that could be seen under some circumstances with the previous models is not noticeable with this one.
That very major improvement can be directly traced to the use of ED glass with the C-740UZ."...quote from 'megapixel.net'...
Go to www.megapixel.net for a complete analysis, these guys do a credible job...Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 2:28 AM   #4

Purple fringe is a problem with many digitals, especially long zooms...Olympus isn't the only camera that suffers from this. Where it happens is when you have a strong contrast between light and dark (trees against a bright sky, bright lights in a dark stadium/auditorium, chrome on a car on a bright sunny day, etc.).

Unless you're doing long zooms, you shouldn't need a tripod. Many have taken great handheld shots at full zoom on a bright sunny day (where the shutter speed is high enough to compensate for camera shake) and of course you keep very still. The Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group has done a lot of discussion on this, and you can find some examples at http://www.pbase.com/oly_c700/info (the three steeple shots were done by me (Mikefellh) and they were all handheld on a C-700 which has a similar zoom to the 750).

As for low lighting, although Oly has corrected the viewfinder they still haven't put a focus assist light on the C-7x0 series (insert me ranting at Olympus again, esp. since cameras like the C-5050 have it) so it does have trouble focusing in extreme low light situations; you can read up on how a camera focuses and why it needs a certain light level at http://www.howstuffworks.com/autofocus3.htm

Also the C-7x0 usually has the lowest f-stop around 2.8 at the zoom's widest position while others have a f1.8 (which means less light can enter the camera due to a smaller opening)...at 50mm zoom (eye focal length) you can only go down to f3.2, and at higher zooms f3.5 (which means even less light can enter the camera).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote