Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 20, 2003, 10:34 PM   #1

Default SM Card won't format???

I recently purchased a C-4000Z and I bought a Dazzle card reader for moving the pictures to the computer. After moving pictures I'd taken at my nephew's graduation when I put the card back in the camera and turn it on it comes up with the option to power off or format. When I try format I get a card error. I did not format the card in the Dazzle nor did I delete the directory on the card that the camera placed there (that I can recall anyway.. I'm pretty sure I left it just in case). Any ideas on what happened and how I can get use of my card back?
TedEBearNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2003, 11:07 PM   #2

If you use a card reader, COPY don't MOVE the files...by moving you are writing to the card which can cause problems (as you found out). It's best to copy and then erase the pictures or format the card in the camera. What to do about it to recover the card? This site should provide the answers:

http://www.marshost.com/~rashmun/

(Note I haven't tried anything or read in depth the information available there as I've never needed it having always kept the card in the camera and even then just copied the files and not moved them.)
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 1:41 AM   #3

I've never had SM card problems either, and I own cards from 3 different manufacturers. I've never formatted the cards, ever! Have you tried deleting the pics using the camera flash button?
...blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 8:12 PM   #4
lg

Ypur quickest fix will be to use the smprep.exe card format utility that came with your Dazzle card reader. Mike_PEAT's advice is good for restoring the panoramic header if it is an Olympus brand card.

If you write to the card in the reader, you risk altering the format of the SmartMedia card and rendering it unuseable in your Olympus camera. The problem is that the format function in your camera doesn't do a low level format; it just does a "quick" format, and therein lies the rub...

So, either you accidentally rotated an image on the card, moved some images from the card instead of copying them, or made some seemingly innocent alteration to a pic on the card (such as re-saving the image back on top of itself), in any case inadvertently writing to the card in the reader.

Unless you have great confidence in your ability to restore the format of your card if damaged, I'd also strongly recommend only copying images from your card. In XP, I have had no problems checking the "Delete images from card after transfer?" box in the Picture Transfer wizard. Apart from that, you could be on shaky ground writing to the card in the reader.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 7:52 PM   #5

Thanks for the help. I believe moving the pictures is what I did as opposed to copying them. I will try following the information provided in the link to fix my card.
TedEBearNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2003, 10:03 PM   #6

Try putting the card in your reader/writer and formating it with Windows (in My Computer).

This is a low level format and will often times fix the problem.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2003, 10:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel
Try putting the card in your reader/writer and formating it with Windows (in My Computer).

This is a low level format and will often times fix the problem.
That would be a mistake:

"Why, Olympus SmartMedia Card Errors, Formatting in MP3 players or Card Readers...the format and panorama feature on Olympus Smart Media can be overwritten by other devices such as MP3 players or Card Readers, causing you to get card errors. This format not is not done in the camera but can be done with one of the correct Card Reader mentioned below!"

That's from the site I mentioned above...the card should only be formatted in the camera, or if there's a problem using the proper method from the website I mentioned above!
Old Jun 28, 2003, 1:24 PM   #8

I've been doing that ever since Oly has had SM. And as a matter of fact was told that by their head tech person.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 8:35 AM   #9
lg

Mike_PEAT, it sounds like The Colonel hasn't had as much problems with SmartMedia cards as we have!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 8:50 AM   #10

The Colonlel's day will come, and then he/she will be back here asking how to repair a damaged card!

It's been the experience of quite a few here that Oly techs don't know squat...they're only reading what their computer tells them. The real experts are the people who actually use the cameras.