Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:57 AM   #1

Default c-4000 refurbished - seems like a lot of them about - why?

I was interested in the C-4000 and noticed that there seems to be a lot of factory reconditioned ones for sale bot on eb%y and from camera outlets.

This is the first time I have really noticed so many of one brand. Has there been a problem with the C-4000?

Is there a good reason not to go for a factory reconditioned model?

Thanks
cheepoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2003, 4:56 PM   #2

I see no reason not to buy re-furb. I just bought a C-720 and the only clue it was re-furb was the box said so. You get less warranty, but many dealers offer an extended warranty. May be more of a particular model because they sell more?? Many re-furbs are not defective, merely returned with an open box. Dealer sends back to Olympus rather than being accused of selling a used camera for new.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 11:55 AM   #3

Also, sometimes a manufacturer of a large line of cameras suddenly discovers their own models "competing" with one another. The loser is sometimes sold as a refurb even though it's brand new. With the dizzying array of offerings from Olympus, this may be part of it.

I've searched in vain for anything suggesting a systematic series of problems with the C-4000's. The result is that I did buy a refurb on eBay for about $220 and I'm awaiting a delivery from a relatively slow vendor. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I know it's not even close to being the best camera I could buy, but the features and quality for that low a price are hard to turn down.
n3elz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 7:53 PM   #4

Hi olympus also has a ebay store were you can buy the refubished cameras directly form them they clearly tell you the refubish grade a, b .,c etc... and you get all the acessorys you get with the new camera (especially the useful printed manuals help with a complex like the c4000) Here the link to olympus ebay store http://stores.ebay.com/Olympus-America . good luck camera hunting
bob1xxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 9:20 PM   #5

I bought mine from another vendor with some extras for the same price as the Olympus by iteself; but I did buy a flash cable from the Olympus America eBay store and I'll tell you that they are REALLY FAST on shipping. I bought it Sunday night late and had it Tuesday. They seem to be very responsive, if my one experience with them means anything.
n3elz is offline   Reply With Quote