Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 21, 2003, 11:18 PM   #41

NHL,
Thanks for that link! I printed out a DOF table for various apertures for the E10/E20 which will be very useful.
I agree that the E20 is certainly not as easy to do selective focus as a 35mm film cam. But here's an example where I did selective defocus with the E20:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...77803373bImDMZ
EDIT: I dunno if that is the right term, but as you can see, I deliberately defocused the subject and left the foreground in focus.
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 12:17 AM   #42

Default Message for NHL & Bert

NHL - My wife says her modeling days are over and to take the trash out instead of wasting my time posting messages at "that" camera site. HA! Any way, here's my WebShots site if you and Bert have any interest;

http://community.webshots.com/user/johnwmitchell100

THX again for the info, I'll be back. Best - john
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 1:20 AM   #43

John,
Nice work! I especially like some of your scenic shots. I made an entry in your guestbook, by the way. Not many people seem to want to take the time to do that.
Bert
Old Jul 22, 2003, 7:02 AM   #44
NHL

Quote:
NHL - My wife says her modeling days are over and to take the trash out instead of wasting my time posting messages at "that" camera site.
You're not alone John on this - Trust me... :lol: :lol: :lol:
You can always use: "I'm learning Photoshop tricks to make you look even better dear" if that doesn't work there's always trips to exotic tropical places so you both can enjoy, but don't forget "I need a new camera" to record thoses unforgetable moments (more landscape shots too)... It works for me.

One last note on the E1, and I was surprised that no one challenged me was the manual focus overide. While the Canon's use USM and others use a clutch mechanism, Oly use a fly-by-wire ring similar to the D7's: you twisted the ring but the camera AF does the focusing. It's less direct but still provide velocity control, ie the faster you turn, the faster the focus. The jury is still out here, but Minolta tried it before on their Xi series SLR's lenses and they turned out to be a flop!
... I better stop before someone thinks I work for Canon ... (people thought I was on Minolta's payroll too and Nikon before that)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 11:53 AM   #45

Quote:
The jury is still out here, but Minolta tried it before on their Xi series SLR's lenses and they turned out to be a flop
NHL,
I like the fly-by-wire manual focus. I didn't even think about how it works, but you're right, the AF must still be doing it.
I thought it was a slick solution. If the jury is still out, it's been out for a long time. The E10 and E20 have been on the market for a long time, and I haven't heard anybody call them a flop. I don't recall that dpreview said anything negative about it in their very thorough review.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 12:18 PM   #46
NHL

It was a flop for Minolta since they stopped making the Xi series and reverted back to the true mechanical focus ring... The other neat trick about the Xi lenses wass if you pull back on the focus ring, the focal lenght is displayed on the viewfinder! I liked it too, but they didn't sell too well though :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote