Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 24, 2003, 6:51 AM   #1

Default New Olympus E-1 information

:idea: Olympus published today more news about its new 4/3rd system. The camera is called E-1 and on another US sites a price tag of 2200 USD is quoted. I think that is too high. More infos about the this new open system on http://wwww.olympusinfo.com in the scan/download section and in the forum.

Many lenses are announced. But up to now only Olympus, Kodak and Fuji are part of this open system
dirk3247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2003, 8:29 AM   #2

The $2200 is MSRP. It will obviously sell for less than that.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 9:13 AM   #3
NHL

IMO $599 for a lens with no IS or fast/quiet Ultrasonic is also way too high!
The other lens at $7999 is laughable, and where other non-full frame dSLRs will excel @ with more affordable lenses benefiting from their 1.x factor!

... no wireless flash system either and with just 3 tight AF focus points, it's going to be a tough up-hill battle especially coming from behind with only 5Mp. :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 11:25 PM   #4

"- But up to now only Olympus, Kodak and Fuji are part of this open system."

Jeez people, three major manufacturers, all who make pretty decent products, seems like a good start to me. I notice two of you making posts just joined..........Why don't we wait and see what the product looks like and get a few reviews in before we start trash talking?
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 4:37 AM   #5
NHL

Quote:
Jeez people, three major manufacturers, all who make pretty decent products, seems like a good start to me. I notice two of you making posts just joined..........Why don't we wait and see what the product looks like and get a few reviews in before we start trash talking?
Don't you think it's overpriced?

I never said they made a bad product, in fact they made excellent E-series: the E-100RS and the E-10/20 for example but always tend to overpriced them out of the market until heavily discounted! It just doesn't look like they've got it yet... You can also called it a good start, but the fact remains that this camera was announced for almost two years, missed two major shows, and is still not available until october! In fact if you checked my postings you would have noticed the gripe with my current dSLR in that it's too big, and look forward to a smaller 4/3 alternative, but it just sounds like there'll be a price premium for this (almost negligible size saving) alternative. BTW the weight saving is not there either (- 100g?) http://www.four-thirds.com/pdf/FourThirdsSystem.pdf

My other observation is, and it's also a fact, that for two years in the making they still don't have IS (which all Uzi's owners are asking for) or USM in any of their lenses, both of which are already available with the competitions at similar or lower prices. Will the market wait like you said or will they have to heavily discount this camera again, and totally miss their market window once more? 8) 8) 8)
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:10 AM   #6

I think, Oly E-1 is full overpriced.

But they prices are for "must-have-people" ... and soon are falling.

I am an "olympus-fan", but now I love my CANON 10D (it's also overpriced :-) ) - and will not chance the system (and why I should beta-test new systems?)

Better a CANON 10D in May then an E-1 in September :-)
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 1:17 PM   #7

Folks - I dunno - people vote with their feet and their wallets. I've been looking hard at the Canon 10D as well and the IS on the long lens is definetly a plus. However, the DSLR's out there are still pretty big, heavy units and the possibility of having a much smaller camera is really appealing. I don't usually find IS to be critical in most situations as I use a monopod and tripod, but the on-the-fly shots do sometimes suffer. I still want to see Olys new SLR system before I make up my mind if its too expensive, lacking in features or doesn't deliver good images. If it's not selling, the price will come down.......THX.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 5:25 PM   #8
NHL

What about the benefit of Ultrasonic motors... Are you going to be given up on that too?

Quote:
Folks - I dunno - people vote with their feet and their wallets. I've been looking hard at the Canon 10D as well and the IS on the long lens is definetly a plus. However, the DSLR's out there are still pretty big, heavy units and the possibility of having a much smaller camera is really appealing.
...Much smaller, hey? You might need a caliper: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Olympus E1: 141(W) x 104(H) x 81(D) mm
Canon D10: 149.7(W) X 107.5(H) X 75.0(D) mm
Nikon D100: 144(W) x 116(H) x 80.5(D)mm

Practically all the size benefit of the 4/3 system kind of melt-away too with the 1.5~1.6x factor of the non-full frame, which translate to shorter and more affordable optics along with the full complement of IS, USM and now even smaller still with 'DO'...
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ghlight=#48226

Quote:
If it's not selling, the price will come down...
You don't think that Nikon and Canon can play this game too, or have an upper hand with a slighly larger share of the market? They have to price it lower now or miss their market opportunity!
Even if they've priced it on par, they are still missing the incredible wireless flash system that Canon is offering... (minus the extra 1.3Mpixels of the other two cameras) ops:

BTW what you really want is a Pentax *ist D @ just 129 x 95 x 60 mm, and only 510g!
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0302/03...pentaxistd.asp
Old Jun 26, 2003, 11:35 PM   #9

Default E-1

I think you guys are missing several very important points on this camera.

First, it's a professional grade camera like the 1D and D-1X. Have you checked the prices on those lately. I have several friends that have both the D-100 and the D-1X and say that the D-100 can't hold a candle to the D-1x in image quality. But, I guess you can compare anything you want.

I have used both the E-10 and E-20N and find the image quality to be equal to if not better than the current crop of 6MP cameras on the market.

As far as the lenses go, have you priced a 600mm f2.8 lately, ooops, sorry, no one makes one, but that 's what the Oly 300 f2.8 is equivilent to. And the 600 f4 Canon is over $7K at B & H. The Nikon is about the same.

And keep in mind too , that ALL the Oly lenses are designed to be digital, and it does make a difference. If it didn't why are Canon and Nikon introducing digital designed lenses?

Give em a break and wait for the tests to come in and then be critical. IF they fail that is.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2003, 1:03 AM   #10

I've read/wrote/guestimated about this new E-1 for a long time, I even thought Olympus would eventually call it E-1. Oly had been promising the E-1 for two years, but in February of this year I finally could wait no longer and bought myself a D100 plus a nice lens for work. Haven't regreted since. I used the E-10 for over two years, and can honestly say that it took great pictures, but that the D100 takes even better ones. Well, it should for being two years younger technology than the E-10, having a larger sensor and much more expensive glass in front of the sensor.

I'm sure the E-1 is going to be a fine camera, but its target market will probably be the same as the D100/10D/S2/SD9 market, not the 1D/D1x. People in those markets have far too much money invested in camera peripherals (lenses, flashes, brackets specific to their camera, etc) to consider a switch to a completely new system. But I do envy that ultrasonic dust removal feature of the E-1, and if it really works, would like to see such technology appear in other digital SLR's.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote