Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 27, 2003, 11:56 AM   #1

Default C-740 Problem?

I have recently purchased a C-740 and am confused by the "ALL RESET" function. If I have it set to "OFF" and set a resolution while in "P" Mode and turn the camera off and then on in "Auto" Mode the resolution defaults not only in "Auto" but in all modes. I would think that resolutions set in other than "Auto" would be retained until I chose to change them. I talked to Oly Tech and was told to send it for repair. I sent it to NY and they called and told me that it was normal operation. According to my interpretation of the Reference Manual the settings should stay as selected. I am relatively new to digital so maybe I just don't understand the function.
bcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:37 PM   #2

Should have talked to the people who actually know the camera first, the people who actually use it!

The way it works is whenever you power on in Auto mode, the camera does do an "all reset" no matter what. If you power on in any other mode, *if* you have the "all reset" off it will retain your last used settings.

This is where My Modes come in handy...you set your favorite presets so the camera starts on the same settings every time.

I use the C-700 which only has the one My Mode (called 'Custom Reset') which I set my favorite apperture starting point, zoom position (50mm), etc.

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group for users of all C-7x0 cameras, 700/720/730/740/750, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2003, 1:23 PM   #3

Thanks for the info Mike. I guess there isn't anything wrong with the camera. I understand that in "Auto" the camera selects all settings but I don't understand why it "erases" the resolutions set in the other Modes. I can live with it but it doesn"t make sense to me!!! Thanks again, Dick
Old Jun 28, 2003, 10:44 AM   #4
lg

My older camera only has RESET ON, OFF and CUSTOM. As an example of it's usage, under CUSTOM, I select Flash reset OFF. All other settings I leave alone. I leave the flash set to ALWAYS FLASH on the camera. In this way, when I pop up the flash, I know it will always flash, even if the camera's metering system says there's enough light.... So, when the camera turns off, I know the flash mode isn't going to be reset to the default. When I have a strongly backlit subject and want to ensure the flash will fire to properly fill in the subject, all I have to do now is pop up the flash. Otherwise, I'd have to check the flash setting each time.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2003, 1:15 PM   #5

Having the custom reset was far better than what they have now. I know that every time I power on the camera it will default to 50mm zoom (neither wide angle nor telephoto) whereas it would normally default to 38mm (full wide angle).

My modes are nice, but I'd also like a custom reset for use in P/A/S/M modes.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 9:52 PM   #6

Reference my post of 27 June: I received my C-740 camera back from the repair facility on Monday. When I finally got time to look at it this evening I found that the problem with losing the resolution settings has mysteriously disappeared. Now when I select a resolution it stays set even in "Auto". The invoice from Olympus indicates no repair action. When I talked to Olympus last week the Tech told me he was sending an extra card with the camera "for my troubles". I am now the proud owner of a 16 MB Smart Media card!!!! Time to move on and enjoy my camera.