Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 2, 2003, 3:23 AM   #1

Default Night shoots

Hello to the forum. Can someone help me ? I want to take some photos with low light but without flash. I don't know how to adjust my camera in order to do it. I try it with auto speed and all I got was a total black picture. Please help me. I even try to make a movie and then cut some pictures but also nothing. I am an owner of a c730. Thanks a lot. :?
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2003, 8:11 AM   #2

You should use the shuttertime priority program (A) on your c-730.
Set it to app. two steps from the smallest f.no. This is often the sharpest f.stop of a lens - in generel anyway. Place it on solid ground or on a tripod. And shoot. But there's a little more to it, than that, so...
You may get some more tips at my website below. Go to "thoughts before" and choose no. 8 - nightshots. I wrote a few tips there, that you surely can use.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:32 AM   #3

I think what Klaus meant to recommend using the aperture priority mode ( A mode, you set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed, not shutter priority, S mode). The aperture he recomended is probably between F/5.6 to F/6.3 since most max-minimum aperture on most compact P/S digicam is F/8. Use tripod as he said and the wireless remote, if you don't have the wireless remote, you timer mode to shoot. You can also use the slow flash mode if you include subject (people) in the picture, use lower ISO to minimize the noise and turn on the noise reduction feature if the camera has one. Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:59 AM   #4

You're right. I was prob. thinking of something else!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2003, 4:04 AM   #5

Ok, thanks both of you. I will read and test what you have suggest me during the weekend and I will post my result on Monday. Have a great weekend.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 4:57 AM   #6

Hello. I spend my weekend playing with all these settings and I can say that I manage to take some good pictures. Yes definetly I must spend a lot of time, but thanks to all of you people.