Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 2, 2003, 2:38 PM   #1

Default Olympus c-750 Low light shots

I love to photograph in low light and at concerts. Tried the new Olympus c-750 at auto and manual. Still learning the new camera. What settings would be appropriate without flash?

With flash is not a problem in any light with this camera. Have had this camera just about a week and I am pleased with the results.

With a manual SLR I would set the shutter and the f-stop and just shoot. With digital, the shutter lag is a little different. Should I set the shutter faster to make up for the delay time? Would that work out better?

Your thoughts?
Nanwithzoom :roll:
Nanwithzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2003, 8:06 PM   #2

Most of the shutter lag time is the camera focusing, and the way to get rid of that is to do manual focusing (there will still be some shutter lag for setting white balance, etc.)...shutter speed doesn't have anything to do with the shutter lag time.

To be honest it takes far longer for you to set the shutter speed, aperture, and focus on an SLR than it does to have a digital on fully automatic and do all those settings automatically (of course with an SLR you can preset it for the situation, but then again most digitals including the 750 have manual controls). It's the theory of, "How long a minute is depending on which side of the bathroom door you're on."

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group for users of C-700/720/730/740/750 cameras, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2003, 9:00 AM   #3

Thanks for the information, I am still learning digital vs SLR. Will play with the camera over the weekend! Will try manual focusing.

To be honest it takes far longer for you to set the shutter speed, aperture, and focus on an SLR than it does to have a digital on fully automatic and do all those settings automatically (of course with an SLR you can preset it for the situation, but then again most digitals including the 750 have manual controls). It's the theory of, "How long a minute is depending on which side of the bathroom door you're on."
Nanwithzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2003, 11:10 PM   #4

Default Low light setting for OLY Class DigiCam

Below are my setting for the C-2100uz which I have evolved over time. These should get you pretty close to where you want to be.

Heavy Clouds
---------------
Set to :
WB=Overcast (Cloudy)
EV=+0.7 (or +0.3 or 0 )
(Note: Highlights tend to wash out at higher EV so try to throttle EV)

Bright Sun (w/Glare Condition)
---------------
Set to :
WB=Auto
EV=+0.3 (or 0.0)

Bright Sun (w/Shadows)
---------------
Set to :
WB=Auto
EV=+0.7 (or +1.0)

Indoor Crapy Lighting (Predominantly Over Head Flourecent)
----------------------
Settings
Stablization=On
WB=Auto (or ISO 200 )
EV=>1.0 (or 1.3)
Shutter => 1/13 (or not less than 1/10)

Night Clubs (w/Stage lighting Only; No Flash)
-------------------------------
- If possible try spot focus
- Minimize Zoom (ie, Sit as close as possible to stage) *
- Settings:
Stabilization=On
Shutter Priority: >= 1/15" (Try 1/20")
(Note: 1/13" a little too slow for Honey)
WB=Auto
EV= 2.0 (max)
ISO=100 (never >200 or spotlight will cause wash outs of faces, etc.)
Resolution: [email protected] Fine or HQ

Note: Lighting on Performer then ISO=100; WB=Auto;S=1/10;EV=2.0 (max)

Night Scenes (w/glowing objects; No Flash)
-------------------------------------------------------
- Stabilization = On
- S-Prog
- Sport Mode if object has motion (eg, a fountain)
- Portrait or Landscape (if landscape then use SHQ)
- WB = Auto
- ISO = Auto
- EV = 0.0 - +0.3 (no greater than +0.7)
(Note: bright scenes easily wash out at EV >+0.30
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 3:00 PM   #5

Default c750 low light shots

I have the 750 and I'm not sure how to set the focus to infinity and use shutter priority at the same time. I know I can set the camera to landscape to get infinity focus. If I use manual focus it goes to 3 meters I think.
iblaineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 5:12 PM   #6

For concert or club situations where your camera to subject distance is relatively fixed and your objective is to reduce the auto focus shutter lag, try using 'Focus Lock' rather than trying to manually focus. On the C3020 you half press the shutter release button until the camera auto focuses and then while holding the shutter button half pressed press the 'ok-menu' button for about a second and the camera will switch to manual focus _and_ lock in the focus distance that the camera's auto focus selected. As long as you don't change the zoom setting, this focus distance will remain set.

I'm guessing that the C750 has a similar focus lock mechanism.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 11:46 PM   #7

Have you read the reference manual on the CD disc that comes with your Olympus camera? Mine (C-730) had a lot more info than the paper manual; you'll probably find answers to many of your questions on the CD reference manual.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote