Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 3, 2003, 4:21 PM   #1

Default Using C-2100 with Windows XP?

Hi

What do I need to do in order to have my C-2100 auto connect with the usb cable if I am using Windows XP? I have Camedia Master 2.0 & 2.5 but would like to just plug in my C-2100 and use the Windows prompt for viewing a slide show, opening files, sharing photos, etc.

Do I need another driver (compatable with XP) or do I need to purchase Camedia 4.0? Is there somewhere to go to download the right driver? I've already been to the Oly website. Thank you,

Steve
srssrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2003, 4:25 PM   #2

im not sure, but hasnīt 2100 mass storage?
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2003, 5:32 PM   #3

The C-2100 doesn't have "auto connect"...you have to use Camedia with it. You can read all about the C-2100's XP support at:
http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/Win_XP.pdf

Drag&Drop is *supposed to be supported* with Camedia 2.51! The patch for Camedia 2.5 can be downloaded at:
http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/CM251_Update.exe

There is a free version 3.0 that's supposed to work with XP from the Europe/Africa Olympus website (english versions of the program):
http://downloads.olympus-europa.com/.../c-30w95e1.exe
http://downloads.olympus-europa.com/.../c-30w95e2.exe
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2003, 12:17 PM   #4
lg

Quote:
Hi lg,

I've read many of your posts! Can you help me?

What do I need to do in order to have my C-2100 auto connect with the usb
cable if I am using Windows XP? I have Camedia Master 2.0 & 2.5 but would
like to just plug in my C-2100 and use the Windows prompt for viewing a
slide show, opening files, sharing photos, etc.

Do I need another driver (compatable with XP) or do I need to purchase
Camedia 4.0? Is there somewhere to go to download the right driver? I've
already been to the Oly website. Thank you,
The reason the C-2100 doesn't have auto-connect is that this feature wasn't available when the camera was being produced! The only way I am aware of using the USB connection on the camera is to use the proprietary Camedia software. v2.0 that came with my camera locked up with XP, so I upgraded to v2.5, and it works fine, although it is slower than I would like.

However, my recommendation is to purchase an inexpensive card reader, and leave it hooked up to your computer's USB port. With XP, as soon as a SmartMedia card is placed in the reader, a wizard pops up allowing you do perform all the options you requested. There are numerous advantages to this method:
1. You don't have to use battery power during picture transfer
2. You can preview thumbnails of your pics prior to transfer, select just the ones to transfer, and rotate pics if needed
3. XP prompts you for which subdirectory to send your pictures to, and what to name this group of pics-- it then renames the files to whatever you specify and appends XXX to it (e.g., Carshow 001.jpg, Carshow 002.jpg, etc.).
4. It gives you the option to automatically delete the pics from your card after successful transfer.
5. I find this method a lot faster to use than the Camedia software

I don't know what benefits the latest version of the Camedia software has, but the only thing I use v2.5 of Camedia for is stitching together panoramas. Perhaps someone who uses the newer version can provide input on that. It may be possible that the newer version supports auto-connect, but I haven't heard of anyone able to use auto-connect with the C-2100.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote