Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 4, 2003, 6:05 AM   #1

Default brand new c5050z with bad pixels

Hey all.. thanks in advance for any wisdom you can impart here...

I bought a new c5050zoom from www.buydig.com a couple weeks ago. When i got it, it had a bad pixel on the lcd screen so I sent it back and received my replacement 3 days ago. Now I have noticed 2 bad pixels on my pictures. They show up as white dots. Here are a few links to some example pictures, one with the lens cap on, no flash, in a dark room:
http://www.pioneer.net/~adidas/hot_p.../hotpixels.jpg

one of an indoor white wall (taken at iso64, f4.0, 1/30sec exp time):
http://www.pioneer.net/~adidas/hot_p...lsoutlined.jpg

and one of my dog:
http://www.pioneer.net/~adidas/hot_p...lsoutlined.jpg

I'm not sure what these would be defined as (hot, dead, etc.) but I know I don't want these from a $600+ brand new camera. If the consensus is to return it for a replacement, should I send it back to buydig (whose camera quality I am now questioning) or would I be able to just send it to Olympus and get a replacement? I have my receipt and the Olympus limited warranty.

Thanks so much for any help,

Carla
aidansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2003, 8:25 AM   #2

Carla, I doubt they have any lower quality cameras than any other dealer. What might have happened is they might have gotten a batch of the same run that had the same issues. I have heard good and bad about Oly. service. Seems that one or the other of their main service centers is better than the other. Look around the site for that post-it was within the past couple of weeks. Should be better help available than what I am trying to give. Good luck!
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 9:14 PM   #3

anyone else?

hehe
Old Jul 6, 2003, 10:24 PM   #4

that does look like a a hot pixel, and although the pixel mapping function on the 5050 should get rid of it, you shouldn't have to put up with this in a brand new camera imho. i'd try to either exchange (yet again) for one that does not have thsi anomaly or contact olympus about it and see what they will do.

Somy
somynex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2003, 12:15 AM   #5

Default sent camera back to buydig

just wanted to update and say that I sent the camera back to buydig again today as I was worried that olympus might just want to repair it and not replace it. guess i will have to wait another week to have my son's first haircut (and pictures) taken.

thanks for the replies.. carla
Old Jul 8, 2003, 10:00 PM   #6

I see more than 2 in the first image. Very fishy.
HSKHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 6:54 PM   #7

Default update on returning camera

well... it continues..

i received my 3rd camera from buydig today and the it has the same 2 bad pixels. i'm not even sure they sent me a different camera. i am at the point where i am done with them and we are shipping back the camera for refund. i don't even know if i want to get the c5050z at all anymore.. i may go with a nikon coolpix or something... this has just left a bad taste in my mouth.

carla
Old Jul 15, 2003, 7:36 PM   #8

Of course you should have check serial numbers to see if they shipped you the same camera.

You can get the same problem with any camera or brand.

Anyway, did you try doing pixel mapping? This will map out any bad pixels and reduce noise.

Every consumer camera has some problems, and at least Olympus now has pixel mapping to correct problems; just like hard drives always have bad sectors!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 7:44 PM   #9

ya i know.. i was kicking myself for not writing down the serial number.. oh well...

I didn't want to do pixel mapping because if you spend that kind of money on a new camera it should be in good working order. I can see doing that if you've had the camera for a while and the pixels go bad.. but not brand new. I will probably just get the camera at our local Costco where I can talk to someone and take care of issues immediately and not spend $60 on shipping costs to return items.... may even look at the nikon line of cameras...

carla
Old Jul 15, 2003, 9:28 PM   #10

Sorry you had a bad experience with the C-5050. There are enough favorable reports on the camera that I would not be afraid to buy another one, albeit from another dealer. Sounds like you could have gotten the same one back.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote