Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:49 PM   #1

A friend of mine is looking for a new camera and spotted an Olympus SP - 350 at Costco.
It seems to have the main features needed but I can find nothing on this camera at
the Olympus web site.
Is it obsolete?
Is it worth consideration?
Is it one of those Olympus failure moments?

Thanks for any input

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2007, 4:21 PM   #2

It does seem to have been discontinued. I wish they would have replaced it with an updated model first. But maybe that's coming.

On the other hand I've seen alot of them being auctioned off at very low prices on ebay the last month by Olympus (they have an ebay store). They are being sold as factory refurbs, good as new condition, supposedly had been used as display or sales models. They were selling for about $150. You might check there if they've still got them.

p.s. And, yes it got very good reviews. The one major complaint everyone seemed to have was it was slow. But it was maybe their best reviewed model as far as image quality and features.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 5:26 PM   #3

Thanks Ken.
By slow, are you refering to the refresh rate or some other feature?

Old Jan 30, 2007, 6:00 PM   #4

Dear Foss,

While roaming through Steve's entire Forum I came upon this, late this morning and thought perhaps it might have something to do with my interest in Olympus Cameras. Funny you shoud send it to me, in such a timely manner. You are as perceptive as you are technically savey. You must have run from the car into your comuter room to type this information.

My gratitude and Great appreciation. I will preceed with my research

Sunbeam35
Sunbeam35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 9:00 PM   #5

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...sp350_pg5.html

"While there are many positives to this camera, there is also a very big negative - its shooting performance. Power up until the first image is captured was average at about 3.2 seconds. The all important shutter lag (the time between pressing the shutter release and actually capturing the image) measured 2/10 of a second when pre-focused and 9/10 of a second including autofocus; much slower than some of the least expensive models on the market today. The shot to shot delay when using single exposure mode was 2.3 seconds without the flash and 4 - 10 seconds with the flash (depending on subject distance.) When I was shooting portraits with the flash at mid-telephoto range the time between shots was very aggravating."

"Bottom line - the Olympus SP-350 was a mixed bag. We loved its ergonomics, image quality, and versatile exposure modes, but the slower than average shooting performance and poor battery life forces us to ask you to consider other models. While we can't prove this, we feel its shooting performance suffers due to the very slow recording xD-Picture Card media. Olympus really needs to either join the SD band wagon or release these newer and faster xD cards right away!"

Some other reviews have been a bit more positive in the concludsion, but made pretty much the same points. For example it was a "Dave's pick" at imaging-resource, but I don't think there was really much disagreement on the details.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 9:25 PM   #6

Ken, again I thank you for the good information. Better to find these things prior to purchase than later.

I have owned Olympus digital cameras in the past and while most have a lot of good things going for them, all have had some major issues which keeps me from recommending them to anyone.

I will advise, Look at other brands.

Old Feb 8, 2007, 7:14 PM   #7

I justt picked one of these up at jr.com (well I was inthe store becuuase it is near where I work), $180 + $25 for a type H XD card.

Yea, slow, I think that is an understatment. It takes close to 15 seconds to write a RAW file, using the faster XD cards. But I knew this. I bouught it because it does write to RAW files and it has a hot shoe. couldn't find anything else that had those features
dataBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:56 PM   #8

For anyone who bought this model, it seems it has a problem wiht NIMH batteries.

From Steve's review:
"Battery life was also disappointing. At first I thought that the set of 2500mAh NiMH cells that I was using were bad. However it seemed no matter what set was used, it was about the same. Olympus does not specify how many images can be captured, but I found it took nearly three battery changes to capture about 100 shots and conclude several of our other tests; this is using the LCD 100% of the time and taking several photos with the flash."

And from the imaging resource review:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/SP350/SP35A.HTM

"We found a problem with the camera where it quickly reports a low battery condition when NiMH rechargeables (our preferred digital camera battery) are inserted in the Olympus SP-350. We've contacted Olympus on the subject, and they say there's a firmware patch they expect to post in mid-February, 2006. The patch will let the camera work with NiMH batteries, whose voltage is typically 1.2 instead of the 1.5v delivered by alkalines."

From the user reviews, it seems CR-V3 rechargeables are highly recommended witht his camera. Even if you get the firmware update, it apparently doesn't play well with NiMH. But a good CR-V3 seems to adress the number one complaint with this camera, the battery life (not sure if it helps shooting performance).