Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:21 PM   #1

Default transfer files from computer to memory card

Using the c5050 and Camedia4.0 software. It is possible to transfer files that i have earlier transfered to the computer ( and which i deleted in the XD card etc) back to the XD card by just attaching the camera to the computer? The Camedia 4.0 doesnot seem to allow such transfers.

If it is not possible, what accessories do i have to get?
Thanks
cslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2003, 3:14 PM   #2

I can not speak for other types of computer OS's, but if you have Windows XP, you should be able to just drag and drop the files using Windows Explorer. When the C-5050 is hooked up to the computer using the USB cable, the memory card (whichever one you have active) looks like just another storage area to the computer. You shouldn't even need the Camedia software.
ruzicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 3:31 PM   #3

cslim

You can move files back to the memory card by dragging and dropping in Win98 2d ed, Win2K, and XP. This is only true if you have not modified them. Once the file has been modified the camera can not read the format. That is my experience.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 9:59 PM   #4

Thanks guy. Great help. Try it and it works. However, you are right. The camera is not able to detect the files when there is simple modification such as changing the file name.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 3:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslim
The camera is not able to detect the files when there is simple modification such as changing the file name.
I have found two packages that will do this job. You'll have to ensure you obey the naming convention and folder structure that the camera uses.

1. "Photo Studio"....

free/shareware from John Hawkins at www.stuffware.co.uk, allows rotation, resizing, and resaving as camera-friendly jpg. I find that it retains all the assorted exif, thumbnail, etc., info that my camera needs to recognise it as a suitable image.

I have used it to take camera files from my Olympus C3020Z, rotate the vertical format ones, and put them back to my Casio QV-5700 camera, so that I could send them via the camera's AV PAL output to a TV or VHS tape slide show.

2. "TV Writer"...

from www.satsignal.net is another remarkable package that will do the job even better. It has a freeware demo that puts a small banner on the images, and the full price version is 20ukpounds. It takes collections of any old image files and saves them in a camera-friendly format, for numerous different makes including Olympus. It's the only package I've found so far that will allow pixel editing (e.g., USM sharpening, redeye or 'unperson' removal), and saving in a form that the camera will read. This also allows you to insert captions, slogans, frames of witty text etc. into your slide shows.

In principle, both "exifer", freeware from www.exifer.friedemann.info, and "irfanview", freeware from www.irfanview.com, which read & save exif data and thumbnails, should do the job. I haven't got either of these otherwise excellent packages to do the 'put it back on the camera' job yet, but that's probably my fault, not theirs.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 8:40 PM   #6

Alan,

Great useful info. The one that you mentioned that allows maipulation of the file would be really useful.