Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 11, 2003, 3:23 AM   #1

Default Filters C740 UZ

Will filters help in bright sunlight situations? can anyone advise on filters in general
colb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2003, 5:14 AM   #2

Like all other C-7x0 cameras it's a good idea to keep a filter tube adapter and a UV or Skylight filter on the camera at all times to protect the lens assembly from being bumped (although the camera has its own UV protection, adding an external filter protects the lens from fingerprints and dust).

You may also want a polarizer to reduce reflections on surfaces like water and glass, and for making the sky bluer (but you have to learn how it works to make it effective as the polarizer is a filter you can rotate to change how it works).

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group, for all C-7x0 users, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2003, 7:49 AM   #3

I bought my adapter ring and filters from these folks:

http://www.2filters.com./ .

They have good prices and fast delivery. While you are at it, you need to get a lens cap for whatever size filter you wind up with. I chose 52MM, but they also have the tube in 55MM.

I only keep a circular polarizer and skylight with the camera. Important that you buy the circular polarizer as a regular one won't work with auto-focus.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2003, 8:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cope
Important that you buy the circular polarizer as a regular one won't work with auto-focus.
Not true, a regular (linear) polarizer works PERFECTLY with all C-7x0 cameras.

It's only dSLRs or modern SLRs with semi-silvered mirrors or prisms that have problems when using linear polarizers and you have to use circular ones.

I use my linear polarizer from my 20 year old SLR on the C-700 with NO PROBLEMS!

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group, for all C-7x0 users, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Old Jul 11, 2003, 7:24 PM   #5

Thanks for the information, I was told that digital had the same requirement.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 5:55 AM   #6

You were probably told that by someone who didn't want the responsibilty of giving you wrong advice. There's nothing wrong with using a circular polarizer with ordinary digital cameras, just that you paid more than you had to for it. Of course if you ever get a dSLR that takes the same diameter filters, you're ready!
Old Jul 12, 2003, 8:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
You were probably told that by someone who didn't want the responsibilty of giving you wrong advice. There's nothing wrong with using a circular polarizer with ordinary digital cameras, just that you paid more than you had to for it. Of course if you ever get a dSLR that takes the same diameter filters, you're ready!
In my case, I had the circ. polarizer for my Minolta Maxxum. Just glad you posted and maybe saved someone the extra expense. I chose the 45.6-52 tube because I had so many 52MM filters already.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 8:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cope
I chose the 45.6-52 tube because I had so many 52MM filters already.
That's a good point to make, if you have another camera and there's a filter tube available the same size, get that one so you can share accessories (unless it's the 46 or 37mm, more chance of vignetting with those tubes).

In my case my SLR Zeiss lens uses 55mm filters so I got the Oly 55mm tube.