Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 12, 2003, 4:53 PM   #1

Default Olympus C-4000 Software Question

I am 99% sure I am going to go with the Olympus C-4000 as my first digital camera. I know the Olympus comes with Camedia software. I have a new copy of Microsoft Picture It 7.0 that was given to me as a gift. I haven't used it yet. Which is better to use? Is it a must to use Camedia software? This may sound like a dumb question, but I really have no idea if you HAVE TO use the software that comes with the particular camera you buy. I know I need something. I also have Microsoft Paint on my computer.

I was hoping to download the pictures from the camera using a USB card adapter. Is this fast? Is there a better way? Then I thought I would just save the pictures to 'my pictures'in my documents. Sound good?

Thanks for any suggestions.
gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2003, 5:32 PM   #2

Plus, the Olympus website does not say the C-4000 is compatible with Windows XP Pro, is it?

It also says maximum resolution is an 11 x 14 print, but can I blow that up even more?

Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 5:36 PM   #3

With 4000, there is no need to use the Camedia software, unless you use the built-in panoramic mode in which case you need Camedia to stitch the pics together (most Oly users prefer to stay away from the built-in panoramic mode use third party stitching programs, or stitch manually.

Some people prefer to use card readers, others like myself prefer to use the supplied USB cable to hook the camera directly to the computer...the camera appears as another drive in Windows Explorer, and I just use the right-mouse-drag-Copy to move the files to a dedicated directory where I copy all my pics to.

By the way, there are no dumb questions, just newbie questions which we ALL had to go through at one point as new camera users. Welcome to the Oly forum!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2003, 5:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengirl
Plus, the Olympus website does not say the C-4000 is compatible with Windows XP Pro, is it?

It also says maximum resolution is an 11 x 14 print, but can I blow that up even more?
From the Technical Specs on the Oly site, "Auto-connect USB Compatible with Windows 98 rev2/ME/2000 Pro/XP-MacOS 8.6-9.01/OSX"

As for blowing up pictures, there are a fixed number of dots in the image...by blowing it up, you are spacing the dots further apart reducing image quality. You can try to reduce the effects by resampling, but you are adding information that wasn't there originally.

There is a program called Genuine Fractals that can enlarge an image "up to 600% without image degradation"...never tried it myself though.
http://www.lizardtech.com/solutions/photo/
Old Jul 12, 2003, 7:39 PM   #5

Thank you so much, Mike_PEAT. I really appreciate your help. I don't think I'll be doing any panaromas for a while anyway. I'll need to get a good grasp on all the 'regular' features of the camera first, and that might take a while.

So would you say the Picture It 7.0 is better that the Camedia?

I'll try hooking the camera directly to the computer with the USB cable. It's a little tough, because my computer is a few feet away from me, but better to try it first before spending more money for a card reader, *lol*.

Thanks
Old Jul 12, 2003, 8:02 PM   #6

I've never used MS Picture-it. I use Corel's PhotoPaint which is a lot like Adobe Photoshop. Picture-it is too basic a program for my needs. If Picture-it works for you, there's no reason not to keep using it with the new camera.

Card readers are cheap (you should be able to find one for $20-$30US). The alternative is to buy a USB hub to sit on your desk with a long cable back to your computer; that's what I've done...between my PC and my scanner & printer is 20 feet of USB cable because I don't have room for those devices on my desk.