Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 12, 2007, 4:02 PM   #11

Hi Greg,

Its 20.00 here in Kent U.K. will get the camera out tomorrow and give it a whirl at different zoom settings indoors.

One thing i forgot to mention (Hardlya test as only took a couple of shots), With the camera at full zoom, and with the ring and T-Con attached, it took remarkably steady shots..

The full zoom link for instance was taken leaning out of a bedroom window, hand held at full auto settings, with a quick lock on and snap..a great way of testing OIS i suppose, and no shake evident at all...very impressed with this function especially when you consider its getting on for +800mm

kind Regards.

Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 5:43 PM   #12

Thanks, Blade.

Have you tried shootingin RAW capture yet? It'd be interesting to see what can be squeezed out of a RAW file ataround, sayISO 400, that's beenun-altered by noise reduction. I know it'll probably be a few weeks/months before programs like Photoshop get the necessary updates to work with the RAW files from this camera, so we'll be stuck with Olympus Studio (YUK) in the short term.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 5:56 AM   #13

Hi,

Have not tried RAW yet,

As for the above, did not see much of a change at all....

Tried focusing and zooming in a room today, and used auto and indoor settings and found little difference between the auto focus, at any zoom tried.

Kind Regards.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 10:36 AM   #14

Being able to manually focus with the SP550, I think for indoor snap shooting I'd set up a mode in the "my mode" options where the focus was set around 3-5 feet with an aperture of somewhere in the f5.6 range and the lens set to around 30-35mm. With the inherent depth of field in cameras like this, a setting like that would cover 95% of all indoor shooting with adequate focus and no need to have to "wait" for the camera to make these settings each and every shot. There used to be a site I knew where someone had their Canon Powershot G5 set up like this for indoor shooting. The problem with the G5 was there were no "my option" settingsto make it a click or two to get to. Problem solved with the SP550 and having up to 4 "my mode" presets you can program. You can even set them up to where the lens will zoom to a pre-determined focal length.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 4:56 PM   #15

Blade, we received ours this week and so far, I pretty much agree with your comments. It was rainy most of the week, so I have done mostly indoor shots and compared them with our C-50, and wide angle Olys C-7070, and C-8080 the last two being GREAT at indoor shots. The 550 did OK indoors, but given the choice, I'd probably use the C-7070 for those in the future.

Outside, it has done well, (so far) - the colors run slightly red, but not much (compared to the 7070 an 8080). We'll be taking more tomorrow outside when the weather clears.

I am satisfied with the view finder, it is much better than the 8080 - son is bringing over his Sony H5 on Friday, so I'll get to make a comparison.

The size is wonderful - smaller than I thought it would be and smaller than our 7070. In fact, it fits in the same case that our 5050 used. The case is still available at Olympus Store too.

Button placement is the best of any Oly cameras we've had (going back to the 3030).

Bottom line, we'll keep it for sure, but probably use it mostly outdoors on during our travels.

I have a section set up at http://www.scubamom.com/550/ if anyone wants to see the size compared to the C7070 and C8080 - also some indoor shot comparisons along with some photos taken with 550 and 8080 yesterday.
scubamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 4:49 AM   #16

Hi, Nice to hear another persons comments, and findings....

When you try yours, please try a few at full zoom, I am picking up a great deal of noise at extreme zooms, i appreciate there would be some but more than i was expecting....

Kind Regards.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 9:22 AM   #17

My Sandhill Crane page at http://www.scubamom.com/550/birds/cranes.htmhas two examples of full zoom compared withour 5x C8080. These are full size images cropped to show the birds. The camera did well, I think, considering it was a hazy day, I was shooting into some backlight, and the birds were on the other side of the pasture.
scubamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:27 AM   #18

scubamom wrote:
Quote:
My Sandhill Crane page at http://www.scubamom.com/550/birds/cranes.htmhas two examples of full zoom compared withour 5x C8080. These are full size images cropped to show the birds. The camera did well, I think, considering it was a hazy day, I was shooting into some backlight, and the birds were on the other side of the pasture.
Could you take a couple of shots full zoom at the sky...

especially on a nice clear day, it will show up any noise better than almost anything...

I have to say i was very disapointed with mine, it 'appeared to be very noisy'

Kind Regards.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:27 AM   #19

scubamom wrote:
Quote:

especially on a nice clear day, it will show up any noise better than almost anything...

Kind Regards.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:38 AM   #20

Blade wrote:
Quote:

Kind Regards.

I have a few on this web page with a lot of all-blue sky in them...

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/2582538#136065649

I don't know about you, but Smugmug appears to be doing some weird stuff this morning. Here's a posting I made at DPReview with images to see if you can't get the above link to work right..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=22473903