Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 18, 2007, 12:28 AM   #21

How come it has no AE lock button? or it's somewhereelse i didn't see?
caddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 8:59 PM   #22

It does have AE lock. It's in the menu system, but I have changed the function of the image stabilization on/off button to be the AE lock sinceimage stabilization issomething I'll almost never turn off. It's in the perfect spot, near the shutter release. I never have to take the camera down from my eye to set it. The camera allows you to take certain buttons and use them for other functions. That's what I did with that button.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 2:37 AM   #23

Very cool Greg. I hopeitalso hasbetter vidoe mode such as 800x at least w/30fps.

btw. I'm still using my 3 y/o Olym C-765:?
caddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:17 AM   #24

Sorry to have to say have sold the Olympus SP-550, Just not happy with it..
The person whom purchased it, took some trial shots and was happy withit, so in the end we were both satisfied with the outcome.
I will miss the build quality, but hated the very poor focus in in-door or poor light.
Kind Regards to all, and hope all in Olympus Section continue to enjoy there Photography.

Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 6:57 PM   #25

Hi Scubamom!

Hugh from Travel Forum here -- nice to have someone I "know" to ask about the SP-550.

My current camera is the Oly 5060 and I went for it primarily because for me 28mm is the longest focal length Wide Angle I regard as acceptable!

Downside of it -- shutter lag on full press and poor focusing in low light.

How do you find the shutter lag which is the most infuriating part of my 5060? From what I'm reading in reviews and here the focusing in low light has not improved.

One other question that I don't see answered in any of the reviews so far: does the LCD swivel like on the 5060? Pictures of the body seem to show a hinge on the left but it isn't mentioned anywhere that I have seen.

If I went by thedpreview I'd run a mile, and then I find a couple that find the image quality OK ...... [Note corrected reference to review that put me off]

Where's Steve when you want him? <g>

Hope you have a moment -- and anyone else with hands on experience -- to comment.

TIA

Hugh

PS I see there's a firmware update for the SP 550 already!

huwyngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 7:55 AM   #26

The LCD display is fixed. The apparent hinge is actually the closure for the door covering the USB connector.

I have had my Olympus SP-550 for one week.

Like:
18x optical zoom
Large LCD display
Image stabilization
28mm wide lens instead of 36mm in many other high-zoom cameras
Strong detents in the mode dial
Rubber grips
Easy menues for items most likely to change
AA batteries
Good macro
Easy to use
Nice images
Size, for a camera with its features

Dislike:
Difficulty in making small increments of zoom
Length of time to focus
Slow upload of photos to the computer, so I use a card reader.

bobfox98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 2:06 PM   #27

bobfox98 wrote:
Quote:
The LCD display is fixed. The apparent hinge is actually the closure for the door covering the USB connector.

[...] Dislike:
Difficulty in making small increments of zoom
Length of time to focus
Slow upload of photos to the computer, so I use a card reader.
Many thanks -- pity about the LCD since I not infrequently use it for low level shots and for arm length over the head shots. But it's not a killer.

I guess I coud live with the Dislikes although I'd hoped they would have improved on the 5060 -- maybe a few more firmware upgrades ...... ?

One thing I forgot to ask -- thread for filter on the lens front? My Oly 5060 takes 40.5mm filters and I keep a UV filter there for lens protection. No mention of this in the Olympus specs or elsewhere that I can see.

TIA

Hugh
Old Mar 30, 2007, 2:28 PM   #28

huwyngr wrote:
Quote:

One thing I forgot to ask -- thread for filter on the lens front? My Oly 5060 takes 40.5mm filters and I keep a UV filter there for lens protection. No mention of this in the Olympus specs or elsewhere that I can see.

TIA

Hugh
The front element appears to have some sort of threading on it, but you can't mount any filters. The tube Olympus sells to mate with the tele conversion lenscannot be used because it's designed specifically for use with the tele conversion lens and shades at all wider settings when the conversion lens is not mounted. I am certain at some point there will be a wide angle conversion lens from Olympuswith it's own mated tube that may work for that purpose.

There is a third-party tube in the works that is suppoed to, somehow from what I hear, telescope in and out with the lens as you zoom. The site that's in the process of developing that tube is here:

http://www.pemaraal.com/

Their products look to be first rate. I'm sure I'll be in line early when this tube hits the net for sale.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 3:27 PM   #29

<< The front element appears to have some sort of threading on it, but you can't mount any filters. >>

How very odd!

Thaks for the quick reply.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 5:39 PM   #30

I just saw this...

http://www.pemaraal.com/Galileopreview.html

Still in the finalization stages of development and, as he says, without the black finish that will be on the actual for-sale model.

Looks great.