Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:36 AM   #1

Have just ordered My New SP-550, Arriving Tuesday £299 Inc Vat and no Delivery charge...

Very happy 'bunny' today....

Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2007, 9:04 AM   #2

Congratulations!

Seeing pictures soon ?
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 5:17 AM   #3

Waiting for your impressions and samples.
BYEE
mikejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 1:13 PM   #4

DonalDuc wrote:
Quote:
Congratulations!

Seeing pictures soon ?
Hi, As soon as i can get the batteries and XD-Card in
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:02 AM   #5

Just arrived....

Very brief first impression as literally just opened the box, Little smaller than i was expecting...(Judged it against the size of an H5), and it seems a little smaller than i remember the H5 being.
Very well balanced though.

Positive about the construction, apart from the battery cover which is ok, but nothing special, imho will have to file away a little note to self, To be careful when opening and closing cover.

Takes a couple of seconds to fire up, and am greeted with the set date and time function....

I apreciate it should perhaps be a two hand camera hold, but in the right hand it does balance well for one handed shots....
Very pleased so far...

Got mine from Park Cameras, Ordered Saturday, £299 inc Vat and no postage charge in U.K.

Have just ordered the T-CON 17 and CLA-10.
Kind Regards.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 3:25 PM   #6

Hi Blade. Now that you have had the camera for over a week, what are your impressions? How is image quality? Peformance? I gave away my Panny FZ7 and have been in the market for a nice UZ with OIS and a wide angle, so I am eager to hear more user reviews of this model. Thanks and Congrats!
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:26 AM   #7

Have been holding off, waiting for the TCon etc.....

Please forgive the shots as they were literally straight out of a bedroom window, only resized, apart from that left alone, no effort taken with composition, and quickly taken rather than framing etc... and camera on full auto, as going out today but just had to try the lens extension.

Wide....

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/126/4...62a03f08_m.jpg

Zoom....

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/164/4...dc3c1853_m.jpg

Full Zoom....

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/166/4...e8291641_m.jpg

The build quality is truly superb for the money...

Macro not spoken about enough, again for small pocket camera highly rate this feature.

Zoom speaks for itself, killer feature.

Indoor especially auto focus is very slow and poor...(Against Sony H5),

Prefer the viewfinder on the H5 as well.

few things i am dissapointed with, but truthfully am sure that would be the same with any camera purchased in this class, and price range, they all have plus and minus points.

It depends on what priorities you have...

For indoor work would suggest there are much better cameras out there, (The H5 for one, and can only imagine the H9 will move it on again),

For Macro and Zoom feature this is a great camera, the build quality again is a major plus, and am sure it will last and last.

Sharpness is subjective, but imho setting to +3 makes a massive difference, and many although not me, like to add sharpening later...

Overall very impressed and taken as a whole, a very nice camera, as long as you will not spend most of the time indoors, if you do then try before you buy, as suggest there are much better alternatives.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:00 AM   #8

Thanks. Nice shots and I appreciate the time you took to elaborate, as I am sure others will also. I own a Pentax *ist DL but I hate lugging around lenses and then there are the dust issues with them, etc. So I plan on eventually selling the Pentax and then wait and see what new models are released. I had been hoping the Olywould be good in low light conditions but....so perhaps Fuji will eventually release an updated S9000 with at least a 12x telephoto zoom, wide angle AND optical image stabilization. With the size and quality of their sensor, that would be a killer combination - not perfect, of course - but probably better than anything out there now.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:09 PM   #9

You are very welcome,

And will go into more detail with more shots when i have a spare afternoon..

In many ways this is a great little camera, as previously said the zoom is fantastic, however so is the macro and well worth mentioning again, as this feature has often been left off previews, and it is a GREAT macro.

The build quality imho is second to none, especially in this price range, i suppose being picky the battery door is a little weak looking, and will be careful when changing batteries,

However considering all in all, thats not a lot wrong for a £290 camera.

My only real issue is the indoor shots, perhaps that will improve once i get to grips with the camera, however the poor/slow autofocus (Mainly in doors)may put a few people off...

As we have both mentioned it will depend on your list of 'wants' in this range of camera..

If you are prepared to put in a little effort am confident this will reward you well, as long as you count to ten when taking indoor shots.....

Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:40 PM   #10

The one thing I have found in using past generations of digicams indoors is the AF is slower/worse the more you zoom the lens out. It's usually at it's best at the very widest setting, which for most cameras is a semi-wide 35mm. With this camera, 28mm is a great focal length. Do you notice any difference in the AF performance indoors when shooting at the widest setting vs., say, zoomed halway or even further?

Redeye will also be worst when zoomed towards the tele end. The way the flash pops up, I would guss maybe you have a good chance at a shot without redeye at 28mm, but even in those cases, especially in a darker room, I would expect redeye at almost any setting, no matter the flash mode used.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote