Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 12, 2003, 8:10 PM   #1

Default Oly C4000Z and C5050Z EOS !!!

Today,I spoke with an official (real) Olympus representative personally,face to face, and he told me and showed me in documentation that he had, that the c4000z and the c5050z were at the end of their service life. They are no longer being manufactured. So folks,the rumors and statements from some clerks at several stores were true after all. There was also another Olympus camera in the notice that is discontinued now,but I don't remember which one it was. I asked him if there is going to be a "6060",etc coming out soon,but he,at this time, did not know,but that he gets new notices each day on product changes and one could come out tomorrow announcing a new camera. He said to watch the American web site of Olympus's for any announcement. Anyway,this is from the horses mouth,no rumor.or store clerk's statement,he told me and I read it for myself. And I just bought a c5050 a coupla weeks ago.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2003, 8:29 PM   #2

I know this kind of news can be upsetting to a new camera owner. But when I look at previous "updated models" sometimes it has been, "one step forward, two steps back."

For instance look at the C-720, that camera although had one megapixel more than the C-700 had several features removed, like the external flash socket, sound in movies, and had less optical zoom...the previous model was the superior model. The same thing with the 740, it has several less features than the 730 has even though the 740 has an ED lens. The 750 is getting close to what the original 700 should have been, but it's still lacking a focus assist beam which your C-5050 has!

You shouldn't be dissapointed with the C-5050...I wouldn't be knowing Oly's track record.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2003, 9:45 PM   #3

Hi ,Mike I was just a little surprised that Olympus stopped production on this camera so soon ( at least soon to me). And also because I got the word from a guy directly from Olympus who I did not even know had a position with them,so two surprises at once. I thought that i would just pass this info along on some forums, because I thought that some might be interested in this. I still am enjoying the camera very much and intend on keeping it , as it takes very sharp crisp photos and is probably much more camera than I will need for quite awhile.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2003, 10:14 PM   #4

I hadn't yet paid the credit card bill for my C3020 when the C4000 was announced. A shock, yes. But I have no regrets at all about purchasing the C3020 when I did. If Olympus holds true to course, the follow-on to the C5050 will be an evolution rather than a revolution.

I would quickly go broke chasing the latest and greatest PC or DigiCam if I let my inner 'gadgeteer' get control of my sensibilities.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 4:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji
Hi ,Mike I was just a little surprised that Olympus stopped production on this camera so soon ( at least soon to me).
Well, have a look at the C-700 timeline and see there's no apparent sense to Oly's plans:
C-700 March 2001
C-720 May 2002
C-730 Sept. 2002
C-740 April 2003
C-750 July 2003

As for going broke chasing the best digicam, it's like computer processors...there will always be a newer, faster one.

There's an interesting thread in the General Q&A forum titled, "The law of diminishing returns" which is argued that anything over 4mp is wasted money. The URL is http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=11884
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote