Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 17, 2002, 3:00 PM   #1

Default help, my pics look awful! C-2100

Ok I just got a C-2100. It's my first digi cam so I really don't know what I'm doing yet. I just took about 30 pics on program mode and most of them turned out like crap. There appears to be a thick haze over everything particulary when I'm taking water and sky. The blue in the sky just isnt there and backround colours just seem dull. It almost seems like it was cloudy outside but the sun was brighter then ever. For most of the pics the aperture automatically went to 8.0 and the shutter speed to 1/800. Isn't that a little high? Could this be what's causing the haze? I can fix it a bit with the "instant fix" on camedia master but why can't I get a decent shot on program without having to edit it? It's very rare that I do. Iso was set at 100 for all of them and white balance was either auto or daylight for most. Exposure was at 0. All were taken in SHQ mode. Any input is appreciated. Here are some examples.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/global_groo...rams/lake1.jpg
http://www3.sympatico.ca/global_groo...rams/lake2.jpg
http://www3.sympatico.ca/global_groo...rams/lake3.jpg

Ok now here is a pic that was also taken on program mode without editing. Why can't the other ones turn out like this?

http://www3.sympatico.ca/global_groo...racebridge.jpg
breakbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2002, 9:04 PM   #2

I think I know what the problem was. There was just way too much haze out today. It was taken right in the middle of downtown smog. I'm gonna try a polarizer and see if that helps.
breakbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2002, 9:00 PM   #3

Note - you should also buy a "UV" filter and leave it on at all times as well, for lens protection.

-----------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by breakbeat
I think I know what the problem was. There was just way too much haze out today. It was taken right in the middle of downtown smog. I'm gonna try a polarizer and see if that helps.
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2002, 9:30 PM   #4

This doesn't really answer your question, but if you manipulate yopur pictures a bit with your photo program (e.g. ACDSee) you can get some improvement. It also helps to set the camera to ISO100.
Here's your picture with the colours improved a bit.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2002, 12:01 PM   #5

Like you I'm also a new user of the 2100, I've found that when I Zoom out for a picture it will come out much like yours did. I'm still working on that problem, but it seems to help when I use the metering button or adjust the f-stop. I live near a lot of water, which will give off a hazey effect sometimes, the UV filter hasn't helped much and it seems a little editing is always necessary. Still, I do notice that I'm not doing near as much as I had to do with my old digial camera.

I tried a polarizer with mine and wasn't happy with the effect. I found that when I use it I have to adjust the f-stop to get a good picture.

You might also want to play with the metering button. I'm just learning about that and have seen a world of difference when I've used it. A great improvement to some of my pictures.

It's trial and error and a lot of learning. But compared to other digital cameras I've seen still takes one of the best pictures.
riverwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2002, 12:07 PM   #6

Just a quick thought as your better pics are taken from a different angle, where is the sun located in the the bad vs the better?
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote