Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 14, 2003, 3:36 PM   #1

Default C-720 v C-740

The C-720 came highly recommended by a family member..said of all the digital camera's she has owned, this one has taken the best pictures. However, after doing some research on the 740, this has also become of interest to me. Anyone one have feedback on either or both? Thanks
MoWPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2003, 3:56 PM   #2

The 720 was a stripped down version of the C-700 (no flash socket, no sound in video, only 8x zoom vs. 700's 10x, and no manual focus), albeit with an extra megapixel. The 740 is a stripped down version of the 750 (missing hotshoe for external flash, no sound in video, no remote option, and 1mp less).

As a C-700 user, I'm waiting to see what comes next...none of the C-7x0 cameras have a focus assist light for shooting in low light conditions (say a kids birthday party where only the light from candles light the scene; the digital cameras have trouble focusing in situations like that, and manual focus comes in handy to compensate, but a focus assist light is really needed).

Between the 720 and 740 I'd pick the 740 due to it's ED lens which helps with chromatic aberrations (purple fringe on high contrast scenes), two strap points (I always feel I'm being choked with the C-700 single one (also on the C-720), plus I feel the camera is going to fall at any second due to the flimsy strap you're stuck with using) and it's better focusing modes plus super-macro, BUT I'd also look at the 750 to see if I could live without the extra features.

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group, for all owners of C-7x0 cameras, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 4:08 PM   #3

Thank you Sir..however..it's all Greek to me! This is my first foray into digital and am pretty much clueless. I guess one thing I'm asking is that spending $100 more for a C-740 really worth it for me and my lack of knowlege worth it?
Old Jul 14, 2003, 4:30 PM   #4

MoWPB

The answer is spend the $100 for the 740. The 720 was not one of Olympus's better cameras.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 4:56 PM   #5

I've said this before, the C-720 is a dumb camera compared to the C-700 and C-730 (I've shot with all three). Several of the reasons have been cited here already, there are probabaly other.s The C-720 also only has an 8X optical zoom. By the way for all you OLY C- 700 series owners, the much vilified purple firnging and pincushioning is easily reduced and even eliminated in PhotoShop Elements. Use the median option under the noise file in the filter options. Doesn't take much of a tweak and used with sharpening (if needed), works very well. I hope this helps.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 5:38 PM   #6

Yep..you guys and others have helped me make my decision. I got the C-740 and am awaiting it's arrival! Thanks