Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:33 PM   #1

Hi!

What do people think of the Panasonic FZ 50 as compared the the Oly 550. I am torn between the cameras. I am a fun user, cruises, pets, etc.

Any consideration would be helpful.

Thanks,

Debbie

debbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:32 PM   #2

I have the FZ50 and it a wonderful camera that gives clearsharp pictures. I am considering the 550 for something a little more compact. But am waiting to see how the new Sony H9 reviews do when it comes out in the next several weeks.
Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:30 AM   #3

debbruce schrieb:

>> What do people think of the Panasonic FZ 50 as compared the the Oly 550. I am torn between the cameras. I am a fun user, cruises, pets, etc.

both are fine cameras - not easy to compare.

my brother has FZ50 ... happy

I have FZ30+Oly550+Canon400D .. happy, too

compare size

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 9:59 AM   #4

Thank you for your comments. I was thinking of watching the new Sony also. Looks very interesting.

Would either of them be better for a casual user who uses auto all of the time.

Thank you.

Debbie
debbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 8:03 PM   #5

Got my hands on the SP-550 for the first time today at Fry's. What kind of material is that they have on the covering? It feels fantastic. The grip, with my small hands, feels great, and the shots I was taking inside Fry's were looking pretty good at ISO 200. Looked on the LCDlike I was getting some pretty steady shots down to around 1/40 sec at 504mm at ISO 200.

I was actually there to get the FZ50 in my hands one more time. My girlfriend is in the market fora new camera and needs image stabilization and the ability to shoot wider than 35mmand the FZ50, combined with the 24mm adapter I have volunteered to buy for her and the ability to use my Olympus FL-50 flash unit in TTL modeis an outfit that has much more potential as a serious users main camera. It even got me to thinking aboutwhether I might wantone because of the weight of the thing compared to just the weight of my50-200 Zuiko.

Anyone looking to make one of these twotheir maincamera should think hard aboutgetting the FZ50. That said, the SP550 should be able to take super images from what I saw, assuming some intelligence on the part of the user. In playing with exposure compensation and shifting once & a while to spot metering when it made senseI was able to get some images looking very good, but how many people buying theSP550will just point & shoot this thing and then complain because "the camera" doesn't produce the images they want?The SP550 provides pretty much all the tools you'd need short of a quality off-camera type flash, but you need to know how to use those tools, and then actually use them.

Being an Olympus DSLR user, there's a lot of options in the SP550I felt really at home with, but I utilize flash way too much for it to be a serious camera for my uses. The little pop-up flash seemed to work well, but it's not an answer for most indoor flash photography with no ability to bounce or get that flash head further away from the lens. It's red-eye waiting to happen.... like every other camera of this type. Correction tools for redeye, be they in-camera or on the computer,just don't lookthe samecompared to an image captured without it in the first place (and pets can have some of the worst redeye you ever saw), and the overall quality oflighting from a flash like this just can't hold a candle to a separate diffused or bouncedflash, but not everyone has those priorities... you only need to scan someimages posted to PBase to see that.

The last comment I'll make pertains to the viewfinder. I couldn't tell from the on-line images, but the eyepiece on the SP550 is a nice, soft rubbery material that will not scratch glasses. My girlfriend scratched the heck out of her glasses last year in Paris with her Digital Elph, and all these other superzoom cameras except for the Canon S3IS and Panasonc FZ50 have those awful, hard plastic eyepieces that will scratch glasses too unless you go find an accessory eye piece for it.

March 13 update....

After all I said above about the FZ50, I wound up buying an SP550 to use in conjunction with my Olympus DSLR's, and for a couple of reasons....

I like taking pictures wherever I go and there are now places where either DSLR's or cameras that look like DSLR's are not allowed...pro football and prohockeygames and Big 12 College games are two that come to mind. The college games because my daughter is in the band at Texas Tech. Last Fall I went to a game in Lubbock, took my E1 and was not allowed in with my telephoto lens, even explaining my reasons were to take some pictures of my daughter marching and in the stands did no good. I have a feeling, depending on the security person you are dealing with, many would regarding the Panasonic FZ50 in the same vein as a DSLR.

This won't be my main camera. Depending on how my playing with this new digicam works out, I could see myself taking a "hybrid" combination to Paris this fall. My E330 with the 7-14 Zuiko for super wide shotsand this little camera, which saves me taking my heavy 50-200 Zuiko and the not-so-heavy, but still bulkier 14-54 Zuiko. Last year we were there for 10 days and in the course of shooting 2300+ images I used a flash twice, both times the little built-in unit on the E300 in daylight fill-flash situations.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 12:28 PM   #6

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:

After all I said above about the FZ50, I wound up buying an SP550 to use in conjunction with my Olympus DSLR's, and for a couple of reasons....

I like taking pictures wherever I go and there are now places where either DSLR's or cameras that look like DSLR's are not allowed...pro football and prohockeygames and Big 12 College games are two that come to mind. The college games because my daughter is in the band at Texas Tech. Last Fall I went to a game in Lubbock, took my E1 and was not allowed in with my telephoto lens, even explaining my reasons were to take some pictures of my daughter marching and in the stands did no good. I have a feeling, depending on the security person you are dealing with, many would regarding the Panasonic FZ50 in the same vein as a DSLR.
Interesting... I had the opposite experiance. I was at a concert and they would not allow the camera if it had video capability. The person checking didn't really know if I did or not... basically went on my word. I could have just as easily had a superzoom and said no, but then again, most superzooms would not have produced any pictures worth keepingin the poor lighting conditions atthe show.
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote