Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 17, 2003, 1:56 PM   #1

Default How does the c5050 do with action shots?

I've been researching digital cameras for awhile now and I *think* I've decided on this one. From those that have used this camera, can you tell me how it does with action photos? And continuous shots? I have 2 children who are usually 'on the go' that I will be photographing, as well as pictures of them in sporting events, etc. I want to make sure the camera will be able to do what I expect it to do. Thanks.
picture taker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2003, 3:18 PM   #2

Default Re: How does the c5050 do with action shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by picture taker
I've been researching digital cameras for awhile now and I *think* I've decided on this one. From those that have used this camera, can you tell me how it does with action photos? And continuous shots? I have 2 children who are usually 'on the go' that I will be photographing, as well as pictures of them in sporting events, etc. I want to make sure the camera will be able to do what I expect it to do. Thanks.
For true action photography, I think you should consider DSLR or film SLR with highspeed telephototo/zoome lenses and its tracking focus system. The Olympus is an amazing camera, with a lot of SLR features built in, superfast lens but doesn't do well with tracking focus. Other than that it will do well on many other photography subjects.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 4:41 PM   #3

as an owner of one i wouldn't think of this as an action shot camera. if your thinking of multiple type shots at its 3 fps the buffer fills kinda quick. the D7Hi and maybe the Fuji 602 would probably do quite a bit better but again they both have their limits.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 2:26 PM   #4

PT: have the 5050;love it; would suggest it to anyone; is not made for fast action shots. Let me explain: I have used it to shoot sports of all kinds, including white water competitions with a lot of success. But not always, and only in manual focus with the subject at a similar distance through out (not comming toward or going away).
But still, when I try to get shots of my 19 mo old boy somehow, he negates physics and renders the 5050 focusing useless !!? 60% of the shots come out right, but the 40% bad ones are the ones you really like (Murphy's law I guess)I am not sure if any other non-dslr would be any better. Even some of the older Dslrs would be any better either (like the Canon D30, Fuji S1 etc.).
tabbasco.
tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote