Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:08 PM   #1

... take the following link to the review.

http://photographyvoice.com/pv/revie.../osp550uz.aspx

Take care.

Jim Hughes
hughes1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2007, 2:43 AM   #2

Another good reivew that ihaven'tseen before. I'm a little disappointed about its drive mode. I may have to wait for Sony H7/H9.
caddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:38 AM   #3

Yes, the drive mode isn't what you'd want as your only option to do sequential-type shooting of sports or the like, but to be honest, I'm going to reach for my DSLR if I want to do that. For ordinary, everyday snapshooting/take a camera to work so you'll have one on you all the time and vacations where I just don't want to haul my DSLR, this camera's fantastic. I just added a message to this forumwith a few folders from my website where I've shot this camera in several locations, and all the images are free to download or view full-size from the website if you want some examples of what this camera is capable of.

To be honest, the review posted above is a hack job with some of the worst examples (examples? what examples? Just little clips)of images from this or any cameracamera you'll find. They obviously were looking to get "something" out therebefore other major reviewers to create traffic on their site.I'd hate to think it would be the only article anyone would read about this camera.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 3:14 AM   #4

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Yes, the drive mode isn't what you'd want as your only option to do sequential-type shooting of sports or the like, but to be honest, I'm going to reach for my DSLR if I want to do that. For ordinary, everyday snapshooting/take a camera to work so you'll have one on you all the time and vacations where I just don't want to haul my DSLR, this camera's fantastic. I just added a message to this forumwith a few folders from my website where I've shot this camera in several locations, and all the images are free to download or view full-size from the website if you want some examples of what this camera is capable of.

To be honest, the review posted above is a hack job with some of the worst examples (examples? what examples? Just little clips)of images from this or any cameracamera you'll find. They obviously were looking to get "something" out therebefore other major reviewers to create traffic on their site.I'd hate to think it would be the only article anyone would read about this camera.
Don't get wrong Greg. My first digi cam wasOlymC-2000(2MP 3x optical) that i bought in 1999. Then i bought another olym, C765(4MP 10X) 3 years ago. Man,I love Olympus.

I don't want to buy dSLR(i have conventional SLR) because it's a bit bulky and they has no video(don't wanna carry camcorder either). Good drive mode is my main concern because i wanna catch some good moments of ourbabygirl. To tell the truth... i don't know what to buy at this moment. Sony H-series are not good looking to me. Canon G7 has so many things missing. Pana... most with noisy at Low ISO setting problem. :?
Old Mar 23, 2007, 9:21 AM   #5

caddie wrote:
Quote:
I don't want to buy dSLR(i have conventional SLR) because it's a bit bulky and they has no video(don't wanna carry camcorder either). Good drive mode is my main concern because i wanna catch some good moments of ourbabygirl. To tell the truth... i don't know what to buy at this moment. Sony H-series are not good looking to me. Canon G7 has so many things missing. Pana... most with noisy at Low ISO setting problem. :?
If I were in your position, didn't want to buy a DSLR but wanted the best available option....I would not hesitate to buy the Panasonic FZ50. It offers all the features you could want, has a first class lens with a huge zoom range and the ability to mount accessory lenses that can take you from fisheye to huge telephoto, gives you the option of mounting a separate, TTL controled flash unit (or any non-TTL auto if you so desired) that will allow you much easier access to advanced lighting such as being able to bounce the flash, which creates a much more desireable lighting for shooting subjects like your daughter.

I've seen all those complaints about noise in the Panasonicline, but to be honest, in all the various images I've seen posted, I've been very impressed and in the end that's what matters, the pictures. The problem is, there's too many geeks out there testing this stuffmore concerned with pixels and they get in the way of what's really important about these machines. Read Steve'sfinal conclusionin the review of the FZ30. About half-way down that page he gives his opinion about all the fuss to do with noise and Panasonic cameras. It's nice to see someone out there in his positionmaking a statement like he did.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 4:16 PM   #6

You cannot compare Oly55 - FZ30/FZ50 - look size, zoom- & focusring.

I have both and both are GOOD cameras! If you compare, then compare Oly550 and FZ8 ! This two are comparable ( price Oly550 is 1/3 higher than FZ8 )

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 5:54 PM   #7

DonalDuc wrote:
Quote:
You cannot compare Oly55 - FZ30/FZ50 - look size, zoom- & focusring.

I have both and both are GOOD cameras! If you compare, then compare Oly550 and FZ8 ! This two are comparable ( price Oly550 is 1/3 higher than FZ8 )

You're right, and I wouldn't try to make a decision based on the SP550 or the FZ50. I already have a DSLR, so why would I buy an FZ50? Caddie doesn't want to buy a DSLR, so I thinkhe should look to a camera like the FZ50 because it's a much more fully featured/capable camera than the FZ8, including the hot shoe and such as I said in my earlier posting and would make a good PRIMARY camera.

The SP550 is not my primary camera. I'm using it right now a whole lot, and my DSLR's are staying home in their bags, but there are situations where I'd never choose the SP550 over my DSLR.

Caddie's looking for a PRIMARY camera, not a secondary camera. He has a small baby and I am sure he'd like to get some nice indoor flash shots, and they would look much better if he had the ability to mount a separate flash unit for bounce/indirect lighting effectsinstead of using little pop-up flashes like the one on the FZ8 (and theSP550)that give very unflattering lighting. That's why I suggested the FZ50...as a primary camera for things he wants to shoot that will give superior results.

You've got to pick the right tool to get the results you want. If all you ever want is a little snapshot camera and flash photography is not a real big deal, buy an FZ8. It's probably all you'll ever need. Just don't expect the same type results you'll be able to obtain with the FZ50.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 3:34 AM   #8

First, thanks forall the infoGreg

I was thinking FZ50 early this year. wow a camera with the size of aSLR. yep it's the best equiped camera that money can buyeven it was introduced last summer. but its low ISO image quality problem from most reviews... still don't know what to buy:?
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:51 PM   #9

I wish I had that "problem" when my daughter was a little girl. Today I now have the equipment, but she's now 19 and at college. Find something and take a lot of pictures. It goes much faster than you ever think it will.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 11:57 PM   #10

Exactly sir.After summer,you gonna focus on the football season. Notthe new coach or owens but cheerleaders.wow a 18Xbiglens in such a compact body.

my baby girl is only 10.5 months old. i feela little guiltyfor using a 3y/o camera on her:shock:. but hey, It's got great result by using AE lock.