Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 24, 2007, 2:12 PM   #1

Hi all, I am a newbie here.. I have been using a C2100 for travel pics for years. I was interested in the 550 but some of the "not so good" reviews have me kinda gun shy on buying it.

I think most reviewers have a more critical eye than I do. I guess my question is, Would a person that has been mostly happy with the quality of images from a C2100 be happy with travel pic quality from the 550? I have many 8x10 prints from my C2100 on my walls. I would think the 550 would do better, even with it's shortcomings. Thanks for your help.

Later, Murf
stevens8330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2007, 5:04 PM   #2

stevens8330 wrote:
Quote:
Hi all, I am a newbie here.. I have been using a C2100 for travel pics for years. I was interested in the 550 but some of the "not so good" reviews have me kinda gun shy on buying it.

I think most reviewers have a more critical eye than I do. I guess my question is, Would a person that has been mostly happy with the quality of images from a C2100 be happy with travel pic quality from the 550? I have many 8x10 prints from my C2100 on my walls. I would think the 550 would do better, even with it's shortcomings. Thanks for your help.

Later, Murf

it's hard to find a perfect camera eh? I don't own 550 but i have Olym C2000(1999) and C765(2004). All i can say is most good brand4MP+ camerasare good for 8x10 prints.

but if i were you, i 'd waitto have a look atSony H7/H9 ($479 for H9 not too bad huh). They got much better continuous shot(they claim 100 shots, 2.2fps, 8MP (max) ),better flash range(Range: 0.2 - 9.8m (wide) 1.2 - 6m (tele)),and face detection. but shorter 15x zoom than 550(550 got better look).

Cheers,
caddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 8:54 PM   #3

I had Olympus 700UZ and 750UZ. I think 550 is 36.5x better then 700UZ and 25.3x better then 750UZ. :lol:

I've no troubles with 550 - but many good pictures.

Forget these gugus (gurus & guys) with their "not so good" reviews
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:51 PM   #4

I think I'd wait for Steve's review.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 4:52 PM   #5

I also had a C-2100. My SP-550 is much better, with its high zoom, large LCD display, much smaller size, and many features that are easy to use. I like the photos I am getting.
bobfox98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 6:38 PM   #6

When a reviewer complains about the ergonomics of the camera or the fact that it uses prop batteries vs. AA or the LCD that does not tilt, etc., I tend not to let those comments influence my final decision abouta camera. However, when they complain about the camera'sinability to properly focus in some circumstances or poor WB or color softness, then I pay a lot more attention and usually take their advice into serious consideration. The only time I didn't, I got burnt. I bought the Nikon D40 back in January, even though many reviewers claimed that the camera had the tendency to over expose. I did not take that cooment veryseriously and as a result, I ended up selling it two months later because I was very frustrated about getting over exposed images all the time. I read too many negatives about the 550 and I honestly don't believe all complaints are unsubstantiated. Sure you can live with some issues like slow low light AF but when the camera misses focus altogether itis not good. So, unless you are a hard core Oly fan, I'd wait a few more weeks to see how good (or not) the H9 is.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote