Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 19, 2003, 7:22 PM   #1

Default Olympus C-750 / C-740 Card Error When Taking Picture

I bought a C-750 two weeks ago and have already had several card errors while taking pictures - specifically while the camera is writing to the XD Card. The card is an Olympus XD 128MB card. The problem has only occured in SHQ mode. Once this occurs, I have no choice but to reformat the card and lose all pictures.

A friend of mine bought a C-740 about a week ago. He has been taking pictures in HQ mode with no problems. Today he tried SHQ mode, and after about 30 pictures, he too got a card error while the camera was writing to his Olympus XD 256MB card. He had to format his card and was not happy.

Has anyone else had these problems? I am worried as I am soon going on vacation and I really don't want to take a hundred pictures only to have to format the card when I get another card error...
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2003, 8:07 PM   #2

I'm just wondering, what's your battery level at that point that you're writing to the card? What I'm getting at is it takes longer to write an SHQ file than it does an HQ file, and if your batteries are low already you may be pushing their capacity.

What batteries are you using (type, capacity in mAH if available).

To be honest, most people can't tell the difference between HQ and SHQ, so if this problem isn't solved before you leave, you can shoot HQ with no major fears.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2003, 8:38 PM   #3

That's a good question. I use Rayovac NiMH 1800mah batteries. I didn't check to see if the batteries were low. I do know that my friend who had the write error today had a full charge in his C-740 according to the battery indicator. He was still using the original set of the CRV3's(?) which came with his camera. I'll keep an eye on that...
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 12:51 PM   #4

Im not sure why batteries would be an issue.....if you were to pop a new set in then you should be fine right?
Why would you need to reformat the card and erase all pictures?
Remember when batteries die or you have none in the camera your card still retains your pictures it does not require power to save the pics........just a few thoughts
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 1:52 PM   #5

I asked about batteries (having used a C-700 for almost a year) to see if that was the cause of the problem discussed in the first message of this thread. It's very difficult to diagnose problems like this long distance, and the battery issue was the first thing that popped into my head since I first ran my C-700 on alkalines before I could afford buying a set of NiMHs and a charger (I now have three sets of NiMHs for my camera). When you're new to the camera you don't worry about the battery indicator flashing, but after using the camera for a while I felt that it's safer to change the batteries as soon as the indicator starts flashing and not to try to get that one last picture taken before the batteries die.

Batteries are an issue because it takes a lot of energy to write to the card (on cameras that use only 2AAs it actually take more voltage than the batteries are rated for). If the batteries are low while writing to the card the camera can shut down in mid-write corrupting the card. Actually this is one of the causes of SDS (Sudden Death Syndrome) on the C-2100 camera.

Of course if you take 29 pictures, pop in new batteries, and the card corrupts after a few more pictures, it's not a battery issue...but that has to be tried to eliminate that possibility.

As for reformatting the card, if the card was corrupted by the above issue the only way to get it to work again is to reformat it.

I can't remember which is faster, reformatting or erasing (I believe reformatting is since you erase all the pictures at once rather than one picture after the other)...the less time accessing the card the less power is used and less risk of corrupting the card in mid-write (format/erase).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote