Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 20, 2003, 8:30 AM   #1

Default C-4000 For Family Portraits ?

Hello All,

I have owned my c-4000 for about 6 months and have been generally pleased with it`s performance. I `ve been using the full auto mode for all of my shots and i`m just now getting around to using more advanced features of this camera. Okay, to the point of my post: I have been interested in producing my own family portraits and was wanting to know if this camera is up to the task, and what equiptment will i need to accomplish this? When i say family portrait, i mean backdrops,multiple flashes,props etc...
I know this camera probably can`t compete with a pro studio camera but i want to try this for my own satisfaction. Any input will be graetly appreciated,thanks!! :?:
jabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2003, 8:46 AM   #2

Check B&H Photo for lighting kits and such. I have had pretty good luck with my SLR, and don't see why you can't with your Oly.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh6/controller/home
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2003, 9:07 AM   #3

Default Re: C-4000 For Family Portraits ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber
I `ve been using the full auto mode for all of my shots and i`m just now getting around to using more advanced features of this camera.

I have been interested in producing my own family portraits and was wanting to know if this camera is up to the task, and what equiptment will i need to accomplish this? When i say family portrait, i mean backdrops,multiple flashes,props etc...
Before you spend a penny, you need to get beyond the "full auto mode" (at least use P/Program mode). AUTO mode tends to bump up the ISO which means more noise while P/Program mode gives you the ability to override some things like ISO and EV to give you more control (or at least, freeze the ISO at 100 or 200).

If you don't know what those terms mean, suggest you head to http://www.photocourse.com where there's a free online book on the basics of digital photography. Just like a car's manual doesn't teach you how to drive, the camera's manual doesn't teach you what the settings do.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote