Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 21, 2003, 10:42 AM   #1

Default C 740 - webcam support?

Can anybody provide me with a suggestion whether it is possible at all to download a software which would enable me to use Olympus 740 for webcam purposes? Thnx in advance for any tips.
Sandorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2003, 10:59 AM   #2

To be honest, it's like using a Rolls Royce to haul manure.

The 740 does have standard video out which you could hook up to a digitizer that's webcam compatible...but the thing is with better digital cameras is the CCDs do heat up over time which produces noise, and you can get hot/stuck/dead pixels over extended use.

Better to just get a high quality CMOS based (instead of CCD based) webcam.

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group, discussions & assignments for all C-7x0 users, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 5:31 AM   #3

Well I search for a long time to make my c730 work as a web cam. I find a little programme called camera controler at the http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl.asp . Get it from there its free and made to work for Olympus digitals. Then I connect the usb and the video out cable. The first at the usb port and the second at my tv/video capture card. Perhaps it will work if you plug it at the video display card, try it. Then I manage to have picture through the video window of the camera controler. I suggest you to read the topic I made at the pine tree computers forum (nickname tomy). You can also connect only the video out cable to the tv card and have video feedback with the netmeeting. That's all folks. I don't know if the CCD warms up, maybe. Until now I had no such problem. I hope I helped you. Go on try it and tell us.
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 8:10 AM   #4

The 740 may not work with Pinetree if Olympus did the same thing with the 740 that they did with the 720 since they are both stripped down versions.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote