Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 22, 2003, 7:17 PM   #1

Default Prefer Olympus C-4000 over Minolta Dimage S414?

My Background: This will be my first digital camera. I've used them briefly for work, but otherwise limited experience. I will be using the camera probably for a lot of things but I think my larger printed pictures will be mostly outdoor scenic ones... guessing.

Why these 2 cameras? I've narrowed down to these 2 cameras based on quality and price. Quality being 4 megapixel cameras with optical zoom with descent reviews and user satisfication. The Minolta can be had for $40 dollars less than the Olympus so I was leaning toward the Minolta, but then I noticed the Olympus scored slightly better than the Minolta at Megapixels.net. The Olympus review was done 6 months prior to the Minolta review however, which MAY have made it slightly more forgiving.

Looking for some experts to sway me one way or another.

Thanks in advance,

Deryl
Deryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2003, 8:09 PM   #2

Default Re: Prefer Olympus C-4000 over Minolta Dimage S414?

Hi I have owned a Minolta 404 which, I think is about the same as a model 414. The Minolta looked great and the lens was neat,but the c4000z took better looking pictures than the Minolta 404, so I took it back and got the C4000 simple as that. The flash was terrible,and I could never get rid of the "muddy" look of the images,even though I used the special software for processing the pictures. Price was good though........
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 8:42 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, they resolved some issues with the S414, that were on the S404. Do you know if any of the improvements made would resolve the issue you had with the camera or I are you fairly sure that the improvements made are irrelevant to the issue you have described?
Deryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 11:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deryl
Thanks for the reply, they resolved some issues with the S414, that were on the S404. Do you know if any of the improvements made would resolve the issue you had with the camera or I are you fairly sure that the improvements made are irrelevant to the issue you have described?
Well, i don't know what they did to improve the 404 with the 414, but the 4000 just took better photos and was much more versatile than the 404. Maybe they have improved the flash and other items on the 414 . I guess the only way to find out is to try it out and see if you like it, after first checking out the stores' return policy.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 4:35 AM   #5

Thusfar I'm very satisfied with the imagequality and the load of features find on this camera. The well balanced and capable flash surprised me in a positive way.

My straight out of the camera samples (exept for the rotations) can be find at http://ferry8317.fotopic.net/show_co...n.php?id=35122

It's a mix of HQ and SHQ jpeg's in the camera's highest resolution setting. The HQ jpeg's generate a filesize of about 700 kb, the SHG setting generates about 1700 kb for each image taken.
Ferry Hoedeman is offline   Reply With Quote