Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:36 AM   #1

I've had my SP-550UZ for a couple of days, and overall I'm pretty happy with it.

This ismy first camera with Raw capabilities. Sofar, I can only get the Olympus software to open the files. I tried Bibble, but that did not work. What wouldpeople recommend?
msadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:57 PM   #2

Your best bet may be to just wait until the profile for the SP550 is added to all the major software makers programs. I've had my SP550 now for several weeks, and have been shooting pretty much exclusively in SHQ JPEG until Adobe updates their Camera RAW program with the profile. I also have Capture One by Phase One, and it has not been updated either. This is typical. Camera makers don't give this information out to third-party companies before a product hits the shelves, so those type companies have to take the product and produce the perameters for their softwareafter a model isreleased. The people to have to wait are those who are among the first to buy, meaning.....us.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:19 PM   #3

Thanks
Old Apr 17, 2007, 5:02 PM   #4

Yesetrday I took my SP550 out and shot a set of images downtown during my lunch hour. Many are identical to images I've already posted on my website with the exception I shot these in RAW capture and processed them with Olympus Studio, a stand alone program Olympus does notinclude with any of their cameras, digicam or DSLR. If you want it, you have to buy it. I have owned it for a couple of years now, and although I updated it to it's current 1.5 version several months ago, it has been able to read SP550 images from day one.

Studio isslow compared to working images via Photoshop's Camera RAW or Capture One LE, but the colors are gorgeous and the files, after sharpening, look great. I did the RAW conversion which included adding contrast, saturation, any exposure compensation adjustment and any/if needed, noise control, then opened the converted JPEG's up in Photoshop CS2 and sharpened via the Smart Sharpen filter. I've loaded the JPEG's into a new page on my website here:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/2722705#144431102

Underneath each image in the description, I've loaded the URL at Bigupload.comif anyone wants to download the RAW file...it is afree service, assuming you have some program to work the file(s). The full-sizedJPEG's can also be downloaded or viewed full size from the aboveweb page. The limited amount of work I've given the RAW files of this camera tells me theoverall image qualitycan be much improved once you have the settings in your RAW converter of choicedown that work "best" for you.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 8:53 PM   #5

Thanks Greg,

Studio looks interesting, but it appears to be a dead product. I can only find the trial, 1.50, download. The trial viewer works but not the editor. I think the latest version is 1.51, but the updater does not update the trial.

Mark
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:51 PM   #6

You're probably right about it being "dead". Once Adobe and/or Phase One update their RAW converters I'll be back online with them in processing RAW files from this camera.