Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 24, 2003, 2:35 AM   #1

Default C740 Shock

I thought I had done a fair bit of research before deciding on my C740 that is waiting to be picked up but a review in the Sydney Morning Heral Teach pages talks of shutter lag not being acceptable, something I was hoping to get away from after my Kodak
colb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2003, 7:40 AM   #2

Don't believe everything you read in the media. I have the C-720 and shutter lag, while noticable, isn't a problem for me.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 8:06 AM   #3

Most consumer digital cameras have a long shutter lag...the time for my C-700 to focus in lower light (which takes longer to focus) and take the picture is the same time it takes to say, "one thousand"...this can be reduced by either using manual focus (the time it takes to say, "one") or by prefocusing on the scene by holding down the shutter button halfway down, and then pressing fully when it's time to take the picture.

You'll have to spend a few thousand on a dSLR if you want almost no shutter lag.

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group, discussions, assignments for all C-7x0 users (from 700 to 750 and beyond), http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 8:12 AM   #4

As I take quite alot of action shots I have researched shutter lag time quite a bit on Olympus cameras. You have to be quite clear what you mean by shutter lag - the key factor is usually the pre-focus shutter lag, i.e. the shutter lag AFTER the shutter has been pressed half way down and the auto-focus and exposure settings have been completed, although clearly it is also useful to get the total shutter down to minimum aswell.

The website www.imaging-resource.com gives detailed information on shutter lag, for the C740 it gives the following information :

Autofocus lag - 1.09 seconds
Prefocus lag (after half press) - 0.093 seconds

While the first figure may seem quite slow, once the half press has been completed, the prefocus lag is very fast and should be good enough to capture most action shots, albeit that the focus and exposure settings are locked on the half press andso could become rapidly "out of date".

Compare this with a prefocus lag of 0.30 seconds on the C700 and you will see how things have moved on. I have a C700 and the lag is fairly noticeable. On my C2100UZ the lag is about 0.149 seconds and that is much more acceptable. The C740 is better again.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.
tintinphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 5:16 AM   #5

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone I am somewhat releived and look forward to getting my new purchase next week (duty free)
colb is offline   Reply With Quote