Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 25, 2003, 2:46 PM   #1

Default OLYMPUS C-740 UZ SOS SOS SOS SOS

hello people
i m an analog camera amateur wanting to buy a good digital camera spending about 600E.
i m very highly interested in strong optical zoom,macro and at least 3MP quality.
as a result i came up with this list:
1-Olympus c740
2-fujifilm finepix 3800 (or S304)
3-olympus c720
4-Hp photosmart 850

i m almost ready to buy olympus c740 but i have three questions about possible problems

1-i ve heard that c740 has problems taking pics in dark light situations
2-the 10x optical zoom lacks stability
3-what about the shutter lag? is it too big??

PLEASE HELP ME
IF POSSIBLE ANSWER BACK TO ME AT
[email protected]
thank you :-)
pANtHiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2003, 3:14 PM   #2

1. Remove the Olympus C720 from your list.
2. None of the cameras you have Image Stablization. You can overcome with a good tripod or steady hand.
3. All of the cameras listed have a F2.8 lens which would lead them to produce similar low light shots.
4. I would look at the Oly C750 and see if you can find it in your price range.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2003, 4:28 AM   #3

I hope you don't think the rest of us unwilling to respond but gibson provided such a good response that there really is little more to add or anything to disagree with (at least for me).

if you can afford the 750, i'd definitely go with it. however, if it were down to the 740, i would consider your future needs and include the 730 into your list, as the 730/740 are similarly priced. however, the 730's main weakness to the 740 is size and the new ED lens, but has the advantages of remote control, SM/xD card, and external non-slave flash compatibility. all these and the ED lens are of course available in the 750 should your budget be able to meet its price.

Somy
somynex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 5:17 AM   #4

Default Re: OLYMPUS C-740 UZ SOS SOS SOS SOS

[quote="pANtHiR"]hello people
i m an analog camera amateur wanting to buy a good digital camera spending about 600E.
i m very highly interested in strong optical zoom,macro and at least 3MP quality.
as a result i came up with this list:
1-Olympus c740
2-fujifilm finepix 3800 (or S304)
3-olympus c720
4-Hp photosmart 850

i m almost ready to buy olympus c740 but i have three questions about possible problems

1-i ve heard that c740 has problems taking pics in dark light situations
2-the 10x optical zoom lacks stability
3-what about the shutter lag? is it too big??

The only thing that I others haven't addressed really, is the issue of low light. Gibson seemed to think you were thinking of lens speed. I think the more common criticism of the 7XX series in low light situations derives from its viewfinder. The viewfinder on the 7XX is not optical, it is a ccd. In low light situations, it is much harder to compose a picture than it is with anything that has an optical viewfinder.

The 7XX series uses a ccd finder rather than optical since it is very difficult (read expensive) to build an optical viewfinder that can handle a 10X zoom ratio. The ccd is a compromise and one that is significant. I would not buy a 7XX until you have tried out the viewfinder for yourself.

Having said all that, my post is based on my experience with my C700. The viewfinder in the later CXX models has been improved a bit so your camera would be a bit easier in this regard than mine. However, I would strongly advise you to try one out before buying. Some people just don't adapt well to the ccd finder...

<TED>
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote