Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:32 AM   #1

I have search the e300 manual, I've goggled the internet, I've searched this site and I cannot find the optimal distance for the built-in flash on my eVolt/e300. :?

Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks.
mphare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:33 AM   #2

mphare wrote:
Quote:
I have search the e300 manual, I've goggled the internet, I've searched this site and I cannot find the optimal distance for the built-in flash on my eVolt/e300. :?

Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks.
This is way old but you'll find the GN (13) under "Manual Flash" in your owner's manual
AlAsaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:25 AM   #3
Administrator

Both your aperture settings and ISO speed will influence your maximum flash range. That's why you often see flash power shown as a GN (Guide Number), since the manufacturer doesn't know what lens you'll have on it.

Flash range will be equal to the GN (13 meters in this case) divided by the Aperture at ISO 100.

Then, each time you double the ISO speed, flash range increases by approximately 1.4x.

Let's say you're using a kit lens that only has f/5.6 available on it's long end and you're zoomed in some.

Your max flash range would be approximately 2.32 meters at ISO 100 and f/5.6 (13/5.6 = 2.32). If you set ISO speed to ISO 200, your max range would increase by about 40% to around 3.25 meters. If you set it to ISO 400, your max range would be up to around 4.5 meters at f/5.6

You'll have to find a meters to feet calculator. lol Your manual may give the GN in both feet and meters, too (check the specs to find out).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 8:22 PM   #4

The attached photo was taken with the Olympus 40-150mm lens mounted on an E-300 at 35 feet. To get that range you have augment the E-300's built in flash unit with a slave flash, and increase the ISO setting in this case to ISO 800.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote