Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 24, 2007, 8:30 PM   #1
GER

I'm having a problem with a x-D Olympus picture card in an Olympus SP-550UZ camera and not sure if it is a card problem or a camera problem. On two occasions I have "lost" a number of photos. By lost, I mean that the photos that I could initially view with the camera, were not there when I tried to download the files to my computer. In another instance, the files appeared to be there and were downloaded, but could not be opened on the computer nor opened by the camera from the card. Something caused a viewable photo to suddenly either disappear (in one instance) or become corrupted in another instance. I have two of the 2 GB x-D Olympus Picture Cards, but I haven't been able to determine whether the problem is isolated to one of the cards or common to both cards. As luck would have it, every time I shoot a bunch of test photos, everything works OK. It seems that the problem only happens occasionally and when I am taking photos I really like to keep.

I am interested in knowing if anyone else has experienced this problem and solved it.

GER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2007, 3:37 PM   #2
PJM

Ger -

A few questions for you.

1. Is that xd card strictly used in your SP-550 or do you use it in other digital cameras?

2. Were all the images on your xd cardfrom your SP-550 or have you at some point transferred images from your computer to your camera via the usb cable?

3.Have you taken pictures with your SP-550 without an xd card inside?

4. How often do you format your xd cards in-camera? Did you format them in-camera when you first got them?

5. What is your image quality and image format set to?

PJM
PJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 5:10 PM   #3
GER

PJM -

Thank you for your reply. I'll try to answer your questions.

1. Both xd cards have strictly been used in the one SP-550 camera.

2. I think my problems have occured under various situations. In all cases, the card has been removed from the camera and a USB card reader used to read and transfer the photos to the computer. I have both a generic USB card reader that I use with my notebook computer and a built-in card reader on my desktop computer. In some instances, the photos were erased by re-inserting the card into the camera and deleting the photos and in other instances, the photos were not deleted and addtional photos added to the card. I do not use the software that came with the camera to connect the camera via a USB cable to the computer. The Olympus software was initially installed and subsequently removed because it interferred with other imaging software that I routinely use (Photoshop PS3).

3. Yes, I have taken one or two photos without the xd card in the camera, but only as a test of the camera.

4. Because of the problems, I have formatted the cards in the camera several times for each card. Interesting you should ask this question. With one card, the progress bar advances uniformly and in a reasonable length of time (perhaps one minute). With the other card, the progress bar stalls part way through the format for several minutes and then instantly jumps to "finished". Strange.... Yes, I formatted the cards in-camera when I received them.

5. The image quality is normally set at SHQ 3072 x 2304. I have tried to use both RAW and the RAW + SHQ settings, but have been unsucessful at opening the RAW photos with any software that I currently have installed. Photoshop is not able to open the RAWfiles.

Since posting the original message on this board, I have purchased the Olympus Memory Adapter MAUSB-200 and used it to download the images to the computer. I haven't lost any photos since using the MAUSB-200, but the transfer is rather slow most of the time, but not always. Also strange.....

An additional commentsomewhat related to the issue: I have several other digital cameras using SD and CF cards that have never given me any problems downloading with the generic USB card reader to the notebook computer or the built-in readers on the desktop computer.

Any thoughts you may have are appreciated.

GER

Old May 18, 2007, 4:08 PM   #4
PJM

GER -

Thanks for all that info, very helpful.

"but have been unsucessful at opening the RAW photos with any software that I currently have installed. Photoshop is not able to open the RAWfiles."

Adobe never made a plug-in for Olympus' RAW format, but Olympus did. I believe the plug-in is available on the Olympus website. Do a 'search' for it and I'm sure you'll find it.

"I have both a generic USB card reader that I use with my notebook computer and a built-in card reader on my desktop computer. In some instances, the photos were erased by re-inserting the card into the camera and deleting the photos and in other instances, the photos were not deleted and addtional photos added to the card."

"Since posting the original message on this board, I have purchased the Olympus Memory Adapter MAUSB-200 and used it to download the images to the computer. I haven't lost any photos since using the MAUSB-200, but the transfer is rather slow most of the time, but not always. Also strange....."

It appearsthe MAUSB-200 has been successful for you in transferring images from card to computer and transferring via internal card reader hasn't been. I suggestNOT using internal card readers, ever. It's been my experience that they're prone to corrupting digital images and memory cards. I usemy external card reader or my USB cable to transfer images to my computer.

"I have formatted the cards in the camera several times for each card."

"Yes, I formatted the cards in-camera when I received them."

I'm glad to hear this. Formatting is a healthy thing to do to memory cards. Simply erasing images doesn't really remove the digital information from your memory cards, bits and pieces of digital informationare always left behind. Formatting completely wipes the slate clean.

I believe if you stick to transferring images via the MAUSB200 or your USB cable and card in-camera, and format the card when finished with it instead of erasing, you'll see allthe missing file, can't open file, additional file issues disappear.

Let me know how this works out for you. I hope I helped in some way.

PJM
PJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 5:22 PM   #5
GER

PJM -

Thank you very much for your help! I was able to download the Photoshop plugin for RAW files. It works great!

I plan to use the MAUSB-200 exclusively for downloading photos from the xd cards and use the in-camera format option to erase the photos. I just completed formatting both of my cards and the format proceeded normally in both cases.

I think all is well again.

Thanks again,

GER