Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 18, 2002, 9:15 PM   #1

Default What happens if you don't format SM card?

I forgot to 'format' the SM card for my camera, but it doesn't seem to have affected anything. Am I missing something crucial here that is staring me right in the face?

I use a card reader, but what if I didn't and just used a USB connection? I have both options, as I own the C-2100, E-100rs and the D-40. Yikes!

Thanks for your help.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2002, 11:12 PM   #2
BRJ

Nothing at all. All SM cards come pre formatted and in theory, they should never have to be formatted again. I have 2 64's and 1 128 and have never formatted them in over a year. All work perfectly.
BRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2002, 6:35 AM   #3

Willa ,

So which camera out of all those you like the best and why?
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2002, 12:18 PM   #4

Default "All those cameras"

I can't even believe I have all these cameras! How decadent! They were all gifts from either my husband or inlaws, who try to encourage my hobby of photography. Yes, they are all very generous.

I bought the Sony myself because I was just crazy with temptation and Sears price matched the camera. I got it for $625! How could I resist?

I wish I could get techinical here, but I am in no position to do so, again due to my 'newness' to all this digicam stuff. But hey! I'm learning every day and boy do these boards help.

I haven't used the Sony enough to give an informed report, but I can tell you that the few photos I have taken have made ME very happy. I don't care what anyone says, there is no way the Sony is more ergonomically comfortable than the Olys. I do NOT like, in any way, shape or form, the location of the zoom button on the Sony. All those Olys, with their 10X zoom, ease of use, well, you already know. The E-100rs, as you know is da bomb for sports and other action shots. I recently took it to an amusement part, and have photographed the kids, boats, surfers, etc. at the beach. The UZI is wonderful. It takes really great photos, and again, is so comfortable to hold and easy to use, don't you think? I do think the EZI has a bit more color saturation than the UZI. I also notice that the F-707 produces extremely rich colors, almost too colorful at times. Thank God for PS! And there's my little D-40. What a little gem for carrying in my purse when I don't want to lug the Tamrac bag. It takes excellent photos and I always, ALWAYS have that one with me. I have given my D-460z to my 14 year old son, who really doesn't even use it, which is a shame. It, too, is a great 'carry in your pocket or purse' camera that takes excellent photos. I have my poor little neglected first digicam, my little ol' Ricoh RDC-2, which is still a nice little camera. I never use it anymore, but for someone who did mainly macros, this little camera will still perform.

I expect I haven't really answered your question quite as completely as you were hoping for, but this is the best I can do at this writing. For the record, when I look at your photos, taken with the E-100rs, I tend to wonder why I ever needed anything else. You are very talented, IMHO. I think we can both concur that photography is SO MUCH FUN.

And so, I have started a collection. I'm a little smarter than I was six months ago, but still very eager to learn as much as I can. Will this greedy consumerism ever end? Perhaps if I can, when I get really good (which is a long shot, lol), I would LOVE to own the Canon D-60. At $2,600 plus lenses and accessories though, it won't be anytime soon. Oh ~ one more thing ~ the megapixel thing is so blown out of proportion. I really don't think the average Joe needs more than two MPs.

Phew! Sorry for babbling! Gotta go take some photos now!

Regards,

Willa

[Edited on 7-25-2002 by Willa]
Old Jul 24, 2002, 1:57 PM   #5

Cards being used in Olympus should be formatted by camera. I have seen some card readers not able too read cards with Olympus cams that were not formatted by camera. ALSO WITH YOUR 3 CCAMS BE CAReFuLL ABOUT MOVING CARD THAT HAS PICS ON IT TO DIFFERENT CAM. Sorry about caps, Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2002, 8:58 PM   #6

Default Formatting SM and CF cards (Gary:)

Thanks for the input. I don't think I have made the mistake of mixing up cards and cameras, but I'm so disorganized sometimes that it COULD happen. I promise to be careful! I have had no problem whatsoever reading the card I didn't format, so I guess it will be OK, but when I do format it, I will format it in the camera.

Thanks.

Willa
Old Jul 25, 2002, 4:04 PM   #7

Willa on my Camera if you dont fomat you carnt have the panorama mode
stings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2002, 12:35 AM   #8

Thanks, Sting.
I must have gotten lucky, because I didn't format the card, and I had no trouble using the card reader to read and manipulate the photos. I have not, however, tried any panorama shots! They scare me, lol, but one of these days I'm gonna try it!

Regards,

Willa

[Edited on 7-29-2002 by Willa]