Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 26, 2003, 10:14 PM   #1

Default Card Reader or Camera Download

Do most people use a card reader or do they use the cameras' USB directly to load their photos to the PC? I just wonder which is best to do, as the memory cards and the cameras' "doors" seem so flimsy.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2003, 10:27 PM   #2

card reader- faster, less complex, no battery drain, allows me to dump more cards quicker since i own more then 1 card.

on my 1Ds i have a firewire i/o. i can shoot approx 84 RAW images on a 1 GB cf card. transfering that 1GB of data is the almost the equivelent to shooting them over again in expended battery power of the camera. ill let the laptop take up the slack there instead.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 10:32 PM   #3

I do it in camera...I don't want to wear out the contacts, or risk damage to the card since it's so thin, or break off the tab on the door that indicates when the camera is closed.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 11:12 PM   #4

the contacts will last considerably longer then the camera as long as you dont clean them with any abrasive. that is including a pink type eraser.

as to the door switches my 1Ds has one and the 5050 has one. nice feature to make sure the camera is off before pulling your card. again i'm not to worried about it. both doors are pretty well made the D7Hi has no door switch. if your gonna shoot large images face the fact you will be swapping your cards out. and after 27 years of opening film backs i think i can figure out how not to rip the door off.

i'll agree on smartmedia the cards are a wee bit dainty though. the only problem i can find with xD, other then the price right now and sizes, is that they're so darn small you can loose them easier. whats good about them is they have an adapter that allows me to use them in my CF slotted cameras too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 11:17 PM   #5

I've always only used a card reader, works flawlessly and 1 less cable to worry about..I shoot over 100 pics a week and have never worn out the card or camera contacts, plus card readers are like $12 ... my brother, who lives in Canada, and has never owned a digital camera, quoted me the same story about the cards wearing out or damaging the camera contacts....what??? That must be a Canadian folklore thing because none of the pro digiphotographers that I know who live here in FL, have ever mentioned that problem, and I have at least 4 years wear on some of my cards and have never had a problem...blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2003, 6:10 PM   #6
lg

I use a card reader because this will work with any computer having a USB port; for my camera, autoconnect USB was not an option, so if using USB cable direct from the camera you must also use proprietary software for picture transfer.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 8:07 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses,I went ahead and purchased a Lexar card reader that reads most of the different types of cards,and we will see how it works out.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 9:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoangels
my brother, who lives in Canada, and has never owned a digital camera, quoted me the same story about the cards wearing out or damaging the camera contacts....what??? That must be a Canadian folklore thing because none of the pro digiphotographers that I know who live here in FL, have ever mentioned that problem
My mentioning it is my experience with repairing electronics, and seeing what happens with other cartridge devices like game machines and computers that use cartridge memory (especially devices like smartmedia cards where the contacts cross over) which are repeatedly inserted and removed.

As for the part of the world issue, there are situations where you live affecting electronics. One part of Canada where I vacationed one year was so humid that electronics would just die (I had my flash die), and in other parts of the world the air is so salty that things would just corrode. In Belieze there's a fungus that eats CDs.

Florida weather is mild by comparison to most Canadian areas so it may never have had an issue with card contacts.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 3:49 PM   #9

A 128Mb SM card currently costs about as much as 3 rolls of 35mm colour negative with processing.

Maybe we should start regarding memory cards as consumables and worry less about leaving them to our heirs?

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 9:39 PM   #10

I have owned 2 digital cameras and almost always use a card reader. I refuse to pay what manufacturers charge for a 120 volt adapter and downloading images sucks the batteries pretty quickly. I was going to get an internal card reader for my PC when my daughter and son-in-law got me a Kodak USB reader.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote