Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 27, 2003, 2:21 AM   #1

Default C-2100UZ Shutter release

I bought a defective UZI, tried to fix it myself, but then had it repaired at Olympus. I have never had a brandnew one. So here is my question:

With my camera, the moment of shutter release is uncertain. There is no action when moving the release button ALL way down slowly. It takes some pressure in the down position to release the shutter. This is different from any digital camera I have been using so far. I find it confusing and I think it does create camera shake. Is this normal for a C-2100?
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2003, 2:49 PM   #2

Hello Herbert:

Congratulations on your C2100UZ!

If you depress your shutter approximately halfway and your
focus "locks" then you should hear:

Two slight beeps

A click as you fully depress and take the photo

then two more beeps.

Try taking photos in a quiet place...
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2003, 5:03 PM   #3

Default C-2100UZ shutter release

Hello, Digcamfan,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately it does not exactly answer my question.

As with all digital cameras, pushing the shutter release button all way down, you go over two "bumps". The first time you enter the focusing and exposure setting state, after the second bump a picture is taken. From your reply I assume that your camera works this way.

This is not the case with my camera. You can press the button ALL WAY down to the end and nothing happens. A picture will only be taken after you apply extra pressure. To me it feels like a bad contact. My question is: Is this normal with the C-2100UZ ? I might ask Olympus to take care of it on the basis of the repair warranty.

Thanks again, Herbert
Old Jul 27, 2003, 5:57 PM   #4
lg

HerbertRD, if the shutter release on your C-2100 doesn't work the same as your C4000, I would strongly suspect that it requires repair. The prefocus and shutter release action on the D380, D460, D510, D520, and C3030 is no different to me than what I experience on all three of the C2100's I have used.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2003, 6:32 PM   #5

Default C-2100UZ shutter release

Thanks, lg, you were very helpful.

I have one more question to all of you: I bought the defective camera (SDS) and sent it to Olympus for general repair. Now I see the camera operating for the first time and find a dead pixel in my pictures. I have paid the flat-rate repair price of about 300$ +tax.

Do you think Olympus should have exchanged the CCD, too? Is a dead pixel principally regarded as a serious defect?
Old Aug 3, 2003, 10:08 PM   #6
lg

HerbertRD, if you paid that much for the repair, and don't need the camera for the next couple of months, I'd send it back and have them remap the pixel. It's a shame we can't do that ourselves!

On the other hand, just how noticeable is it?. One of my UZI's has a hot pixel (bright pink). I decided not to get it repaired, because unless you enlarge the pic to 8x10, it's really not noticeable. Besides, you can just fix it post processing if you need to.

Something else to consider: If it's only slightly noticeable, (buts sticks out to you like a sore thumb), you may want to just leave it alone, and use the dead pixel to your advantage: You can use it as an identifying "fingerprint" for your camera-- anyone pawning off one of your pics as their own could be easily disproved as owner if you just keep the location of this little tidbit to yourself.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 6:13 AM   #7

Default UZI, hot pixel

Thanks for your remarks, lg. Since I am an amateur, I have no copyright claims and would gladly do without this kind of a fingerprint. The pixel in question is bright white and next to the middle of the image. I sent the camera back for repair.

I hope to have it back soon, so that I can finally start taking pictures with this extraordinary camera.