Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 29, 2003, 3:17 PM   #1

Default C-4000 Accessory Recommendations

I have a new C-4000 on the way. Based upon what I have read in this forum and elsewhere, I ordered it with two 128mb cards, a card reader, and two sets of rechargeable AA's. I am still going back and forth between Elements and PSP as each seems to have a loyal following. I will be shooting mostly landscape photos with a few portraits.

1. I am thinking about a 41 to 52 adapter tube for the ability to add aftermarket lenses. Any thoughts?

2. I want to add a UV filter for lens protection. Any recommendations for UV and polarizer filters?

3. Does anyone have good experiences with aftermarket telephoto and/or wide angle lenses?

4. Any other "need to have" or "nice to have" items that I haven't mentioned?

Thanks in Advance,
Bill
med3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2003, 3:34 PM   #2

Bill,

I'd say you've already ordered the essentials - memory and batteries. I assume you've got a decent charger that will recharge 4 cells in 2-3 hours max?

I would suggest holding off on the lenses and filters until you've had a few weeks to evaluate the camera. You don't really know what you need until you've found out what the camera will do and what extra capabilities you want to add.

I've had my C4000 for nearly a year and have not bought any of the items you mention. What I did buy was a 10Mb Image Tank because I found that I was taking FAR more pics than I anticipated and I needed the extra storage for holidays. I also spent money on upgrades and plugins for my software because I've become increasingly interested in the potential of digital post-processing. Among them is one that does a decent job of emulating a polarizer. This is not what I expected to spend money on when I bought the camera.

One suggestion I would make: the C4000's flash is at least average or maybe a little better for the type of camera - which is to say it's pretty poor. Vivitar have recently released a new slave flash unit that will work with cameras like the C4000, which use a pre-flash. It retails for about 50 here in the UK. Just at the moment, that would be top of my personal accessories list.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2003, 5:01 PM   #3

Fenlander,

Yes, I also ordered a good charger. Most of the items I mentioned are really long-term considerations. The one possibe exception is a UV filter to protect the lens. A lot of people seem concerned with this, but that could be the lens sellers.

Would you mind listing the model # for the Vivitar flash?

BTW, I really appreciate your input to these forums. Your answers to the C-4000 "focusing issues" helped to convince me that this was the right camera for me.

Bill
med3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2003, 8:22 PM   #4

People like to keep a UV (or Skylight) filter and tube on the camera at all times to protect the lens barrel assembly from dust, scratches, and getting bumped since it is exposed (some people have knocked their lens out of alignment which in many cases meant a trip back to Olympus and an expensive repair bill, although some have been able to knock it back).

I keep my tube and filter on UNLESS I'm using the internal flash as the tube can block part of the flash at wider angles.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 12:21 PM   #5

Bill,

The flash is the DF200. Check it out here:
http://www.vivitar.com/Products/Flas...ash.html#DF200
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote