Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 19, 2002, 12:52 AM   #1

Default purple fringing 720 700

I am just a beginner

Is purple fringing a big problem in 700?
Is purple fringing very seriou in 700?

Also,except the sound,what's the main different between 700 and 720?

thXXXXX
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2002, 10:42 AM   #2

The purple fringeing is not an Olympus problem but a digicam "personallity" that came about at 2 megapixel. "bright" backgrond behind subject seems to bring out. 700 2 mega, 10X Optical zoom, 720 3 megapixel 8x optical. would guess if both cams shot a picture at full zoom of a license plate at distance would be about the same size with the extra megapixel making up for the smaller zoom.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2002, 1:37 PM   #3

Sorry..
I don't understand what you mean..

I am not good at English/
can you explain easier?
THXXXXXX
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2002, 2:06 PM   #4

Elmo,
Purple fringeing is something that happens with digital camera when you are taking a picture and behind what you are taking a picture of is very bright. Nothing to worry about with 700/720 as they will not do it any more than any other camera. If money is not a problem go with the 720, it just replaced the 700. The 700 can be found cheaper because the 720 replaced it.
On the cameras, with the 720 being a 3 megapixel and the 700 being a 2, with film cameras the old 110 film was small compared to the 35mm, the bigger the film (or megapixel) the bigger the picture. if you took 2 cameras the same except one is a 2 and the other is a 3 megapixel and shot a picture of a flower from the same spot not using any zoom, the flower would be bigger and you would see more detail with the larger megapixel camera.
Hope this helps,
Gary

[Edited on 7-19-2002 by Gary Senkus]

Old Jul 23, 2002, 6:07 AM   #5

Hi Elmo,

Purple fringing is a problem on ALL digital cameras with large zoom's. Except for the Pro digicams with expensive optics that compensate for it.
I have the C-700 and have only seen the problem a few times and then it was easily fixed in photoshop, so dont worry. The large zoom is far to great a feature to let fringing hold you away.

The difference between the C-700 and the C-720:
C-720 have no sound, the C-700 does.
C-720 have no manual focus, the C-700 does.
C-720 have no external flash connector, the C-700 does.
C-720 have 3Mpixel where the C-700 have 2Mpixel
C-720 have 8x zoom where the C-700 has 10x zoom.

The manual focus is a very important feature for me, thats why I got the C-700. 2Mpixels is enough for A4 prints (30*21cm).

Hope this helps.
BjarneChr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2002, 6:51 AM   #6

Purple stuff, This is a cut and paste from steve. If you click on "search" up top and type "purple fringe" the posts will answer all questions. Steve really sums it up in very few words.

quote]Originally posted by steve
Chromatic Aberration - Also known as the "purple fringe effect." It is common in two megapixel and higher resolution digital cameras when a dark area is surrounded by a highlight. Along the edge between dark and light you will see a line or two of purple or violet colored pixels that shouldn't be there.

This is out of our Digicam Dictionary

-Steve
[/quote]