Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 2, 2003, 12:32 AM   #1

Default D560 LCD blackout during photo shooting. Is this normal?

Hello,

Does your LCD screen on D560 blackout during photo
shooting?

I recently purchased D560 for my wife and have
noticed that during photo shooting (when the
camera is writing to the memory), the yellow &
green lignt on the optical viewer will flash for 4 to
5 times and LCD blackouts for few second and turns
back to normal. Is this a malfunction of the camera?

I have noticed that it will take around 5-6 seconds to
write to the memmory between shootings. Is this
normal? I have C-5050 but do not see LCD blackout
during photo shoot.

Thanks in advance
debu_todo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2003, 12:37 AM   #2

My C-700 also blacks out during shooting.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 1:30 PM   #3

This is normal.Cos flash charging has highest priority, thats why LCD become black for few secons, simply camera cut it from energy.(Its same in the car f.e., when u are starting up, radio and lights are cuted from energy cos starter need this energy more).Notice that this time depends on battery power it can be 10 seconds with low battery.On my sony p72 i can choose...but then with lcd on, flash charging time is litle longer.
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 1:47 PM   #4

Not so much flash charging in this instance, but writing to the internal memory. If I have the drive mode selected on sequence, the picture comes back in time to take the next shot and the next.

Think of it like the way an SLR works...the mirror flips up so the camera can expose the film but at that time you can't see through the viewfinder, until the film is exposed and the mirror flips back down.
Old Aug 2, 2003, 6:36 PM   #5

I had D560 for two weeks an I was asking my friend about this LCD black out and he told me that its caused by flash charging priority.I did some testing.I measured shot to shot time of my actual camera(sony P72) in various settings, but only with drive mode set on single.On this camera i can choose power save mode, where LCD blacks out.I use this utility(initialy its for testing cameras shutter lag-u press shutter button when "NOW" appear, and then u can compare what is on the photo.) to measure times.U can try it too, simply run it and then take pictures of the screen as fast as possible.But you have to set manual focus, cos with automatic focusing there will be big time distortion caused by focusing time.
First I try it with flash on and 3 LCD settings alwyas ON,OFF power save-LCD blacks out and completely OFF.Result with power save mode on my camera(LCD blacks out in this mode) is :the shot to shot time is about 0,3 second longer than with LCD OFF or ON.ON/OFF -3,7 s, OFFpower save -4s.
Then I disabled flash and... times are identical in each LCD mode -its clear cos with flash off u measure only time that take to write to the internal memory and prepare camera for the next shot.My StS time in 3MPX is 1,5second and I think this is amazing time in the single drive-good job sony.And what your camera, how does it perform?.
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2003, 11:06 AM   #6

I measured the time it takes between shots using
stop watch:

Test 1: In-door 3M SHQ, P-Auto WITH Flash Approx: 8 secs!
Test 2: Out-door 3M SHQ P-Auto NO Flash Approx : 4 secs
Test 3: Out-door 3M SHQ P-Auto WITH FLASH Approx:8 secs.

Above tests: Fuji 128Mb XD was used. With LCD on.

Conclusion: With Flash on, the time it takes between the
shot doubles. Like everyone mentioned, I think charging
the flash and also noize reduction is contributing to the slowness. This is intolerable!! My 3 year old Sony DSC-S30 is faster in Flash mode (approx 4 secs) I am thinking about returning the item with different camera. Since I already bought extended warranty for Olympus D-series (not applied yet), I am thinking about getting
D-40 camera if I can find. Does anyone know if Flash Photography is slow like D560?

BTW, current firmware is V751-78. Will upgrading the firmware to latest will fix the problem?
debu_todo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2003, 12:08 PM   #7

The thing about the D-40 is it's only a 2AA camera (which equals 2.4v using NiMHs). The Sony was a lithium-ion proprietary batter but had 7.2v (don't know how many mA).

With cameras that use 2AA rather than 4AAs it will take longer to charge the flash, as well you will get less shots (not only the obvious, but memory requires 3.3v so a voltage multiplier is used, and the batteries have to have a certain capacity for that to work properly).

If you aren't already, use high-capacity NiMH rechargeables (2000mAH or better).