Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 4, 2003, 12:45 PM   #1

Default C4000 - SHQ or HQ

I have just purchased a C4000z and am extremely pleased with it. I have taken essentially the same shot (macro of a Laveteria flower) at the SHQ and HQ settings then printed them both off at A4 size. I can see very little difference between the quality of the two prints. At what size do people believe I would see a significant difference & which quality would you recommend as a default setting? I am a newcomer to digital photography, but not photography in general. Thanks for any help.

Geoff
footeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2003, 1:37 PM   #2

Many people prefer using HQ since they get up to twice as many pictures on a card and save SHQ for the more important pictures, while others use SHQ all the time and use TIFF for the most important ones.

From most of the comments here people can't tell the difference with most photos.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 3:28 AM   #3

Default HQ vs.SHQ

Picture quality appears almost unchanged between SHQ and HQ, the only difference I found was that with HQ very fine details in patterns like fabric were lost .
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 10:27 AM   #4

If your prints are less than 5X7 then there is little difference between SHQ or HQ. SHQ and TIFF make better 8X10 and larger prints. I use HQ almost exclusively.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 1:09 PM   #5

Remember both resolutions will give close to or above 300ppi so it'll be hard to tell the differnce up to 10x8.

Where memory allows stick with SHQ to allow you to crop more.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 10:21 PM   #6
lg

If you closely compare two 8x10's, you will see a slight difference in sharpness between the two. If you are printing any size smaller than 8x10, I would challenge anyone to tell the difference under the closest scrutiny with the naked eye.

On the other hand, if you asked most folk's opinion of either 8x10 separately, I don't think they would fault either print for a lack of sharpness (AKA, can't tell the difference).

And, as steve6 pointed out, if I crop my 2MP 8x10's at all, the SHQ is definitely sharper then.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 6:51 AM   #7

Thanks to all for your responses. Looks like I'll stick to HQ for most shots & keep SHQ for the important ones.

Geoff
footeg is offline   Reply With Quote