Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 13, 2003, 5:37 AM   #11

fwiw, i only have used the supplied 32mb xD card on my 5050 but i've used it many times over, consistently filling it up with pictures of multiple qualities, and have never had a problem with it yet, and about 9 months or so running. =) however, xd still too expensive here for me to consider... cf still much cheaper and faster for the 5050 =)

somy
somynex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 6:37 PM   #12

Quote:
however, xd still too expensive here for me to consider... cf still much cheaper and faster for the 5050 =)
Tell me about it! :roll: I also can't believe the price difference between the Oly and Fugi xD cards. Now that the 512mb cards are available I was thinking about picking up one so I had enough room for a weekend trip through the mountains shooting SHQ @ full res or a decent # of shots in tiff. I have found in Canada the Fugi 512mb xD card for just over $200cdn while the Oly is almost $300. I don't think the panoramic feature of the oly card is worth the $60-$70 premium over the Fugi card. Unless it drops to about a $10-$15 difference im going to get the Fugi card when it comes time for more storage.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 8:38 PM   #13

absolutely. i also think the price difference is ridiculous =) in my 5050, i have two card slots, one for SM/xD, and one for CF, and the only cards i have purchased so far are CF cards.

i do find the guides in the panorama function useful though (the other settings can be done quite easily in manual mode), so i usually use the supplied oly xD for that, and that's about all i use that card for.

the good news is that two other manufacturers (i forgot which) in addition to fuji & oly have announced that they are going to be making xD cards, and hopefully the added competition will drive prices down some more =)

somy
Old Aug 14, 2003, 12:16 AM   #14

Yep read that as well here. Hopefully more manufactures will mean lower pricing.... and larger sized moduals so the ones most people actually purchase like the 256mb and 512mb models will drop in price alot.

I did hear something interesting however when shopping for my camera that I wont say who said it. Apparently Oly up here in Canada at least does alot of price fixing on their products. For the C-750uz the store original had it listed for just under $800cdn (remember this is 3-4 weeks ago). Apparently the Oly rep wasn't to pleased with this and asked that the price be increased to represent at least a 17% margin or they would be removed from the offical resellers list and would not be able to purchase cameras from oly dirrectly. So they complied and tacted on another $100cdn. They said its the first time they have ever been told by a manufacture what to see the product for. :shock:

Tell me that isn't crap. I trust who I talked to since I have known them on a first name basis for a few years now and have bought I bet like $25K worth of comp gear through them. So much for open compitition amoung resellers. :roll:

This might also explain something to do with why the Oly 512mb xD card is so much more than the Fugi up here.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 6:15 AM   #15

ah yes, lexar and sandisk. sandisk isn't bad in pricing, but i know lexar cards charge a premium. but in any event, hopefully the competition will help prices ease lower, if only a little.

about price fixing, fraid i can't tell you either way =) i haven't heard much about that, but i can see how it can happen. what i do know is that people in the US get the best deals around, in terms of price vs package. when i bought my 5050 back in december of 2002, it came only with the camera and two CR-V3 one use batteries and full-soft casing. the same camera sold in the states with the RM-1 remote, semi-hard case, batteries and charger, for less! boy was i miffed! =/ but somewhat better news is that the 750 at least, sells here with the remote, and most retaillers here will throw in a set of batteries & charger for free, or a better set of batteries/charger for reduced cost, and also give discounts on any additional accessories/goodies you might purchase with the camera.

but i dunno, maybe (or maybe not) this price fixing story may have some bearing on some of the stories i've heard about xD cards costing about the same (and in some cases even less than) as CF in some parts of europe.

all in all, i suppose i can't blame olympus for trying to make a quick buck. all i'm waiting for now is a xD card reader that can do low-level formats so i can hack 3rd party xD cards to do panoramas =) (should be the same as hacking a SM card)

somy =)
Old Aug 14, 2003, 12:17 PM   #16

Quote:
all in all, i suppose i can't blame olympus for trying to make a quick buck. all i'm waiting for now is a xD card reader that can do low-level formats so i can hack 3rd party xD cards to do panoramas =) (should be the same as hacking a SM card)

somy =)
True, although from the sounds of things Oly wants the resellers to be the ones making the decent magins.....which I find odd from a manuafacture to be telling the reseller what they need to be selling the product for. Yea, am also looking forward to a little low-level format action on a non-Oly xD card, or at least to try. I think though I will try it out on the 16mb card the camera came with first just to make sure it works. I would die if I tried it on a 512mb card and it died or something! :P
Old Aug 14, 2003, 1:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmckay
which I find odd from a manuafacture to be telling the reseller what they need to be selling the product for.
Happens all the time...have you ever seen a book or magazine that doesn't have the price on it? If I go to different companies bookstores, what's the odds that one of them will have it selling for a cheaper price (unless it's a closeout bookstore).

OK, books are not camera products, but I wanted to say it does happen.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 2:42 PM   #18

So back to the original question in the post.....i believe the xd card problem was an isolated occurance. I personally have a 256 mb Olympus xd card mated to my C750 and have taken well over 1500 pictures with it.
Sometimes I fill the card to the max sometimes I only take a few pics.In both cases I have not had a single problem.
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 6:25 AM   #19

Thanks for all the input. I have decided to go with the C-750. It should be arriving today.
Stu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 9:10 AM   #20

congratulations & good choice =)

i know i only entered the discussion on the xD part, as most of what i could've said about the 750 had been said already, but it's a very good camera and will do what it is designed to do very well, that is, take long zoom shots.

and of course, the ED glass, hotshoe, remote, and ISO 50 are all definite pluses of this camera for me =)