Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:24 PM   #1

I amthinking about getting the SP-550 for shots of pro baseball from the outfield bleachers and third deck. I don't expect the equivalent of pro-DSLR's with super expensive zoom lenses. However, I would like to know if YOU were satisfied with your photos. Also, did you ever use the reduced resolution burst mode at 3 megapixels? If so, how was it?
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:23 AM   #2

I don't make a lot of pro game in person due to the cost, so when I do go I tend to spend a little more and get down close. In this particular case the day I took my SP550UZ, 11 rows from the field just beyond the first base dugout..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/2697004#144924768

Using the 7 frames per second, 3MPmode, Ithought I captureda fewinteresting lookingsequential actionshots that I combined in Photoshop as you'll see in scanning those images. They definitely were fun to put together, and no way would I have been able to shoot that fast with anything else I own.

I thought up to ISO 400/800 the camera did pretty well. I definitely think it would be great for a day game if the shadows weren't too bad.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 2:12 AM   #3

Thanks, Greg. That's what I was looking for.

Readinganother post, I got the impression you can adjust the quality of the sequential 3 meg shots. They looked ok.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 8:52 AM   #4

robbo wrote:
Quote:
Reading some of another post, it seems like you can adjust the quality of the sequential 3 meg shots. They looked ok.
Yes. The default compressionsetting in H-1 modeis not the highest quality, and you do have the option of setting it back to the lowest compression, which will mean better quality. Fortunately, once you set the lowest compression in that mode it stays there..... the camera does not revert back to the default higher compression as long as you never reset the camera back to factory defaults.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote