Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 12, 2003, 7:53 PM   #1

Default Changed my opinion of card readers...

Some of you may know I've had a staunch position against the use of card readers with SM cards, and always used the camera as a card reader. But after hearing of one user's problem of the camera becoming unusable after disconnecting it from the computer, the fact that I want to convert my non_Oly cards to panorama capable cards, and the fact my camera's warranty just expired I got myself a card reader and decided to use that instead for reading my cards.

I'd like to add a caveat here though that pictures should be copied and not moved...some people have reported problems with some card readers writing to the card and corrupting the card while doing so. After copying the pics in the reader I still plan on erasing/formatting the card in the camera.

Some things about the card reader I don't care less about, it doesn't seem any faster, and it takes up desk space...so it doesn't help in that regard...but it was the story about the damaged camera that made up my mind for me.

Of course if I want to control my camera by remote I'd have no problem hooking up the camera to the computer, but that's a rare occurrence.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2003, 10:48 PM   #2
lg

One other advantage is that you are saving batteries during picture transfer. Also, with my older C-2100 (non-Autoconnect USB), it also means I can take my card reader to any other computer with a USB port and transfer my images without installing the proprietary Camedia software.

On the lighter side, I just had an interesting thing happen today. One of my colleagues asked for help with the C-2100 we have at work. The camera was giving a "No Card" error, so, after turning off the camera, I opened the card door, and, sure enough, the spring loaded SmartMedia card was protruding about 1/8 inch or so...so I pushed it in, closed the door, and powered up the camera.

To my chagrin, the "No Card" error was still there, so I examined the inserted card a little more closely...only to find some gold contacts peeking out at me!!! Not only had the card been inserted wrong, but also had I aggravated the situation by pushing it all the way into the camera!!! It took a few minutes to get the card back out, and there was only a "Picture Error" message when I re-inserted the card correctly. While a quick format corrected the problem, I thought I would pass on the bit of knowledge I gained this afternoon:

1. If you get a "No Card" error, and there's a card not fully inserted into the slot that you didn't insert yourself, you may want to remove the card first to check for proper insertion before pushing it just beyond the grasp of fingers, tweezers, and other convenient card removal devices.

2. This brings to mind two axioms that you should never forget:
a. "Nothing is foolproof, because fools are so ingenious."
b. "Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity."

A little humor, at my expense. Enjoy... :lol:
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 9:19 PM   #3

Default Re: Changed my opinion of card readers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Some of you may know I've had a staunch position against the use of card readers with SM cards, and always used the camera as a card reader. But after hearing of one user's problem of the camera becoming unusable after disconnecting it from the computer, the fact that I want to convert my non_Oly cards to panorama capable cards, and the fact my camera's warranty just expired I got myself a card reader and decided to use that instead for reading my cards.

I'd like to add a caveat here though that pictures should be copied and not moved...some people have reported problems with some card readers writing to the card and corrupting the card while doing so. After copying the pics in the reader I still plan on erasing/formatting the card in the camera.

Some things about the card reader I don't care less about, it doesn't seem any faster, and it takes up desk space...so it doesn't help in that regard...but it was the story about the damaged camera that made up my mind for me.

Of course if I want to control my camera by remote I'd have no problem hooking up the camera to the computer, but that's a rare occurrence.
Mike, I was planning to buy an internal reader(fits in 3-1/2" bay)but my daughter gave me a Kodak portable for Father's Day. I've been using a reade for 3 years with 2 different cameras. Sure saves batteries!
cope is offline   Reply With Quote