Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 13, 2003, 1:52 PM   #1
Roy

Default C730 or C740..ED Lens??

Can you tell me exactly what an ED lens will do for me. I am trying to decide between the C730 & C740?

Also, another feature that I like is the remote with the C730. But....I noticed that there is a 12 sec lag from when you clikc the button until the picture is taken. Does anyone know if a remote can be used with the C740?

Thanks.

Roy
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2003, 2:09 PM   #2

Roy,
The 740 has a 12 second self-timer, but no support for a remote. Also no way to hook up an external flash.

Not sure about the lens question. I own the 740.

Cheers,
Norm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 2:17 PM   #3
Roy

Norm,

I am not concerned about the hotshoe or not having a metal body. I do not think that the lower MP is a big deal either. Is the 12 Sec delay long enough to take a family pic? My wife is big on the remote deal, but I do not think that spending a hundred extra dollars justifies a remote.

How do you like the C740, is it easy to learn use etc....Can you comare it to other cameras that you have owned? I am new to the digital community.

Thanks Roy
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 2:30 PM   #4

Roy,
First, I am not an expert at all. I've had my Oly for about 3 weeks only and it's my first digicam. So take everything I say with that in mind.

IME, 12 seconds is forever when you run around and pose w/ the family. Seems like just when you're thinking the timer didn't get turned on and you get that frustrated look on your face, the shutter goes off.

As far as ease of operation, it's very easy to learn. The menu is pretty straight forward and it's got shortcuts so you can access things like drive settings, quality settings etc. very quickly. Plus there is a place you can save your most-used settings so you don't have to go and reset it every time you turn off the camera.

The only digicam I can compare it against is the Fuji 3800. I did a side-by-side with them at the store and the Oly won hands down. The Fuji didn't seem as solidly built, focused (sp?) slower and didn't have as much zoom as the Oly.

Overall, I'm immensely pleased with mine. I've shot hundreds of pics, downloaded them to my computer without a card reader and am still using the supplied batteries. Pretty impressive since battery life was a concern of mine.

Have fun with your search. Hope I was able to help you out a little bit.

Cheers,
Norm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 2:37 PM   #5

For the remote you need the 730 or 750...none of the other C-7x0's work with it.

Regarding timer use you pose everyone but yourself, then just the picture taker has to run and pose...everyone else (is hopefully) already set up.

As for the ED lens, it helps with dispersing chromatic aberration (the dreded purple fringe). People have said it does help.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote