Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 8, 2007, 1:36 AM   #1

I have just been advised by a supplier that Olympus is in the process of changing storage media to SD, and are notproducing H type cards any longer. I can see the benefits of moving to SD but what about people like me who have just acquired the new Mju 780, and now find it difficult to get the fast H type cards. I got the new 780, two months ago when I got rid of my older Olympus C60because Olympus told me that they were no longer producing standard xD cards, and that the C60 was not compatible with the newer models. Why don't companies like Olympus just come clean, and let the punters know their intentions before bringing new models onto the market, which are already obsolete?:P
tonfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2007, 7:42 PM   #2

Today I got the new B and H catalog and they only show M type xD cards listed.

I which manufactors would not change memory card types... i wish their was only two types of memory cards a very small one that would hold 8Gb (like Sd) and a large one like CF cards that will hold 32GB. Why do we need so many formats

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 8:01 PM   #3

Photo 5 wrote:
Quote:

i wish their was only two types of memory cards a very small one that would hold 8Gb (like Sd) and a large one like CF cards that will hold 32GB. Why do we need so many formats

dave
This will happen, and when it's done, the xd card will be gone.

The same thing is happening todaywith digital that happened back when film was new and there were so many formats you couldn't count them, from 626 to 620 to 120 to 35mm to 127 to etc, etc.. In the end onlytwo major one'swere left...35mm and 120.

I have an SP550 and a "fast" xd card andthey are agonizingly slowcompared to using SD cards. The faster Olympus drops it and goes to abetter technology, the better off they'll be. CF and SD are all anyone needs (sorry Sony, memory sticks have to go too).
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:11 AM   #4

I also think SD needs to go in favor of SDHC, memory stick needs to go, mirco SD, mini CDs etc.

CF and SDHC is all we need

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote