Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 29, 2007, 12:41 PM   #1

I 'used to' have nice crisp clear pictures ... now they are a mess ... gainy, too much noise. I tried mapping, it didn't help.

Your help will be appreciated
LinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2007, 10:50 AM   #2

What ISO are you using?
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 6:58 PM   #3

Thanks for replying!

ISO was set at Auto ... changed it to 100 and then I really had a soft mess. The pictures are all grainy. I sent the camera to Olympus on the 6th of October and just got it back today '20' days later and in the SAME condition. Phoned tech support and had to send it back again. The camera is only 6 months old and didn't work right from day-one. I am so dissappointed with Olympus.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:03 PM   #4

LinK wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for replying!

ISO was set at Auto ... changed it to 100 and then I really had a soft mess. The pictures are all grainy. I sent the camera to Olympus on the 6th of October and just got it back today '20' days later and in the SAME condition. Phoned tech support and had to send it back again. The camera is only 6 months old and didn't work right from day-one. I am so dissappointed with Olympus.
Is it just me or is something not tracking. First you said "'used to' have nice crisp clear pictures" and now you say "didn't work right from day-one", which is it?

None the less diagnostics would be easier if you would posted a couple of samples along with there EXIF data.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 12:55 PM   #5

The very first time I took the camera out of the box it was grainy. I phoned tech support (it is documented) and learned about pixel mapping ... after pixel mapping the camera produced a beautiful picture ... the next day I took pictures of my son's graduation and I could enlarge the photo and crop him out from a great distance and his image was still clear.

The next time Iturned thecamera on we were back at square one ... grainy pictures. I pixel mapped but it didn't help. I let it go, being busy, thinking maybe itcould belighting conditions, etc. The next occasion to use the camera produced the same results, grainy dismal looking pictures. I phoned tech support again ... no resolution. It was at that time I tried forums thinking perhaps someone 'out there' has experienced this problem and could offer a solution ... the forumwasn't very active and in the meantime before you posted, I tried again with Olympus tech support emailing photos so they could get data from them, etc., etc. They deemed the camera to need repair, and as I mentioned after 20 days it came back in the same condition. It is on the way back to them again ... Pretty terrible for a camera not quite 6 months old.

Where is the EXIF data located?

Old Oct 27, 2007, 7:28 PM   #6

Understand.

The EXIF data is contained within the photo file itself, written by the camera when it takes the photo. It can be read by most photo viewers and editors including IrfanView which is the one I usually use, Microsoft Photo Manager (part of Office) and even Windows itself. Steve's Digicam has a page with links to freeware and shareware viewers:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digsoftware_viewers.html

Opanda.com has browser add-in that allows EXIF data to be read on a web picture without first downloading the picture.

Below is the EXIF data from one of my photos as read by IrfaView:

File: - C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\BixFest07\100_1896.JPG

Make - EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
Model - KODAK Z612 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 230
YResolution - 230
ResolutionUnit - Inch
YCbCrPositioning - Centered
ExifOffset - 504
ExposureTime - 1/60 seconds
FNumber - 3.20
ExposureProgram - Normal program
ISOSpeedRatings - 80