Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 22, 2003, 9:43 PM   #1

Default c750 vs 5700 : first time dig cam buyer

I am trying to decide between oly c750 & nikon 5700
strongest desire was a long zoom range as I have several with my canon SLR. also wanted flash hot shoe and a camera that takes good pictures in a variety of conditions(kids, sports,landscape, macro/closeup for medical teaching purposes, etc)
Is the significant price difference justifiable as I find myself leaning towards the Nikon but I am not sure if this is just because of the allure of the brand.
Any help would be appreciated and If another model/brand
would fit my desires.
:?:
barnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2003, 12:09 PM   #2

Default 5700 v. 750, not that much price difference

I am in the same boat. I'm trying to decide between the C-750, Coolpix 5700 and HP 945. At first the price difference scared me, but then I realized that the Oly is $522 from Amazon and the 5700 is down to $753 at buydig.com (a good store), and you get a $100 rebate from Nikon which brings the price to $653, which is not significantly more than the oly.

If you can spare the money, the Fuji S7000 ($800 at amazon) look interesting, but it will not be out until October.

The HP doesn't have a hot shoe, but the Oly's hot shoe only works with the 200-400 Oly flashes (or another flash in full manual), the Nikon is only supposed to work with the Nikon flashes, and it doesn't use the AI Lamp on the Nikon Flashes!

I had a Fuji S602, which was wonderful, but I want's a little more resolution and a longer lens. The S5000 looks OK, but DCResource gave it a mediocre review. I like the smaller size of the c-750, but it is hard to ignore the great reviews the Nikon has received. I think the Oly's menu system and gernal usage is a little easier, and the Nikon has these four buttons on the left that REALLY placed int he wrong place. I played with a 5700 for a view hours and it was rather uncomfortable to avoid hitting those darned four buttons, and I did accidentally press them them a few times. Also, the Nikon autofocus was really really slow, even in pretty bright light, and REALLY slow in well lit indoor rooms.

Here are the factors that I consider important:

Oly C-750:
$522 at amazon (ps if you are a mac users, goto MacInTouch.com and click on their Amazon link before you buy at Amazon)
Weight: 10.4 oz.
Lens: 10X
Resolution: 4MP
Remote: Yes
Hot Shoe: Yes, but limited
Ease of use: Good
Autoassist Focus Lamp: No
Batteries: 4 AA
Card: XD Picture (expensive)

HP 945
$545 (msrp)
Weight: 13.7 oz.
Lens: 8X (fuji lens, so it's good)
Resolution: 5MP
Remote: no
Hot Shoe: no
Ease of use: Very Good
Autoassist Focus Lamp: Yes
Batteries: 4 AA
Card: Secure Digital / MMC
Also has HP Adaptive Lighting Technology, which is supposed to be pretty good.

Nikon 5700:
$653 at buydig.com (after rebate, I think)
Weight: 16.9 oz.
Lens: 8X
Resolution: 5MP
Remote: No (a option wired one, but yuck)
Hot Shoe: Yes, but limited
Ease of use: a little less than good
Autoassist Focus Lamp: No
Batteries: proprietary

My humble analysis:

They all take good pictures. The Nikon is probably best, the HP second, the Oly third. Other then the 4MP v. 5MP, you will get good pictures no matter which camera you use. For more specialize pictures (e.g., long exposure night shots), the Nikon is probably best. For general point and shoot stuff, the HP will probably be better, but that's close. Unless you are a photophile, your pictures will be more then good enough with any of the these cameras.

Quality Winner: Nikon

The oly is clearly the lightest and smallest in the bunch, and when you carry a camera around all day, this counts. Also, the Nikon was uncomfortable to hold due to the 4 buttons on the left side. This might seem trivial, but for me it was not. I have help the HP, but it looks pretty basic, so It should be OK.

Ergonomics Winner: Oly (but I haven't touched the HP)

As far as other factors, the Oly has a remote, which is very cool. The nikon uses proprietary batteries, which is not cool, but the Nikon has a swivel LCD, which is VERY cool. The HP has a good price and some electronics built in (Adaptive Lighting Technology and a software based flash that sound interesting).

Conclusions:

If size matters, get the Oly. If you want the most from your money, get the HP. If you want the best quality, get the Nikon. None of these factors are overwhelming, so you just have to decide for yourself, but this is what it boils down to for me. I'll probably get the Oly, but I'm waiting to see some reviews of the HP, which should be out in September.

Finally, the Fuji S7000 looks great, but a little to pricey for me. The Fuji S5000 is probably a great camera, and there are some valid arguments (that go way over my head) as to why the 3MP fuji is just as good quality as the the 5 MP cameras. The Fuji S602, which I owned up until last week, is a great camera, but only a 6X lens and 3MP, although it took great pictures.

Again, you have to weigh all the factors against your own criteria to make a decision that is best for you. For me, I'll probably get the C-750.

-Allan
allanmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2003, 1:25 PM   #3

I have been an Olympus fan for years. The only reason that I would not buy the 5700 is the proprietary batteries.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2003, 3:26 PM   #4

Default 5700 vs oly c750

thank you very much for the in depth reply , I think it will help me decide
I am leaning towards the oly but with the price break down and your discovery of the dropped price of the nikon I may have to dwell on it for a bit.
If you get any more updates please let me know
I still have not had any hands on experience with either camera and I have a feeling that once I do it will much easier to decide
Old Aug 26, 2003, 3:39 PM   #5

Default nikon 5700

I just checked buydig.com and I believe that the price is $853 minus the $100 rebate i.e. $753 (still $400 cdn below local retail shops here in Canada)
Old Aug 26, 2003, 7:44 PM   #6

Default Re: 5700 v. 750, not that much price difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanmarcus
The HP doesn't have a hot shoe, but the Oly's hot shoe only works with the 200-400 Oly flashes (or another flash in full manual)
A couple of things, I assume you ment with the 20-40 Oly flashes (FL-20 & FL-40). Also, you can get TTL with third party flashes like the promaster and Metz, with the proper module. And to add only the FL-40 of the Oly's have the focus assist.

I use a Metz slave on my C-700, but will get an FL-40 with maybe the next model of C-7x0.

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group, discussions, fun assignments for ALL C-7x0 users, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2003, 5:59 PM   #7

Default price of 5700

ignore this
allanmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 4:59 PM   #8

After much thought and weeks of indecision I have just purchased a nikon cp 5700 on E bay for $700 US and am waiting delivery.
I would like to thank all replies fotr their help and I am sure I'll be posting in the newbie section when I am trying to figure out how to use the camera as I have been a 35 mm user for the last ten years.
:?: :?:
Old Sep 26, 2003, 7:34 PM   #9

Congratulations, Barnum
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote