Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 22, 2003, 10:45 PM   #1

Default Oly E1 VS. Canon 300EOSD

Canon just announced a new digital SLR with digital lens for under $1,000 (see Steve's breaking news)!! Any speculation on if/how this will affect E1 pricing??? I know the specs aren't quite the same (metal vs. plastic, rubber seals on the OLY), but what a price break! Might be enough for me to go with the Canon......
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2003, 10:17 PM   #2

...I've said it before, and will say it again: the Olympus E1 was a great idea, knocked back by whatever reasons to a point where it is a questionable product for the price VS lens range VS ccd VS features. Maybe a year and a half ago, it would have revolutionized the industry. Now cameras like the new Canon will most likely do to it what they did th=o the Contax camera.
...Too bad, I have been a loyal Olympus customer for a while, loving the c range of cameras, but the E1 seems to have missed the target by a few degrees. I would also be inclined to run with Canon as well.
Tabasco.
tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 10:26 PM   #3
NHL

FYI (Still too high !!!)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0308/03...1pricedrop.asp
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2003, 12:20 AM   #4

I love the smell of capitalism early in the morning! This should be an extremely interesting price war between Olympus and Canon. STEVE - we'll be waiting anxiously for reviews of these two cameras!
Old Aug 24, 2003, 1:00 AM   #5
NHL

What price war? Look @ the E10/E20...pricing. It's really two different cameras targeting different segments:

1. The 300D/Rebel is designed for mass market and can be cheaply manufactured... and will be sold in large quantity no different than the 10D previously, ie Canon set the pricing! (and everyone follow @ a loss probably with less volume)

2. The E1 is more solidly build (with more weather sealing parts for sure) and will never meet the volume of the Canon's -> ie. it will always be priced higher no different than the E10/20. It'll have a niche with it's own Oly diehard buyers no doubt. IMO the E1 best chance is price parity with the 10D and not the 300D/Rebel!

The 300D @ $900, with similar features to its bigger sibbling and with 6.3Mp (vs 5Mp for the E1), 7 AF focus point (vs 3 for the E1), and with a huge lens base makes a very convincing argument even if it'll turn out to be a mistake. After all you're only loosing out less than a $1K and it can always serve as a backup camera... Are you ready to fork over $2K?

... In between there's still the metal body 10D! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2003, 6:15 PM   #6

Default Message to NHL

Hi NHL - I agree with you; I recognize the difference between the two cameras. I think that being able to use the Canon lenses with the DEOS will offer a very tempting price alternative to the the E-1. I won't make my mind up until both cameras are reviewed and I can put hands-on both cameras, but it's good to know that Oly has already responded with a price drop on the E-1 in the UK. As I recall, the much loved OLY UZ2100 didn't sell well at $1,000, but a 40% price break moved the product. I'm really hoping for the same price competition (maybe it won't be a war) between Canon and OLY!