Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 4, 2003, 10:36 AM   #1

Default C5050Z noise at higher ISO !?!?!

Hello to all

i'm currently reading reviews for a future buy of this camera and i've seen a lot of talk on a french forum about the C5050Z noise at ISO 200&400. Is this a real issue that is really annoying or can it be countered with settings manipulation ?

Thanks for your feedback.
Luche is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2003, 11:17 AM   #2

I know some other C-series users counteract the noise by using the NeatImage program.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2003, 12:30 PM   #3

I seem to recall hearing that the C-5050 uses a special noise reduction algorithm at higher ISOs, such as 400.
ruzicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 9:58 PM   #4

For a different perspective on this, check out what A. Wrotniak says in his review of the C-5050:

http://wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/c5050-rev.html

Scroll down to the first picture of the camera and click "Popular Photography Test Report" at the left of the picture to find his comments on the noise issue. They include a link to a longer article he wrote on the same subject.

Cu Roi
Cu Roi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2003, 9:49 AM   #5

Hi

The noise level is much higher at ISO 200 and 400 than at 64 or 100. Neatimage, a free utility, cleans it up very nicely (atlhough it's kind of slow). The noise reduction setting on the camera only kicks in for long exposures.

I hope this helps.

Steve Price
Steve_Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 6:52 AM   #6

I've owned a C5050 for over a year and am generally pleased with it. I bought it for the f1.8 lens and other features. But I am disappointed by the noise. My wife has a Sony 828 that has almost no noise even when the pictures a blown up to the point where you can see pixels. My old Fuji 1.3 MP camera also had almost no noise. I've also looked at pictures from friends cameras and seen little noise.
I'd think twice before getting another Olympus. A friends Sony P93 has the same resolution but a smaller lens. The pictures from the Sony are better quality than from my 5050 except in low light.
Justice4All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 2:50 AM   #7

Justice4All wrote:
Quote:
I've owned a C5050 for over a year and am generally pleased with it. I bought it for the f1.8 lens and other features. But I am disappointed by the noise. My wife has a Sony 828 that has almost no noise even when the pictures a blown up to the point where you can see pixels. My old Fuji 1.3 MP camera also had almost no noise. I've also looked at pictures from friends cameras and seen little noise.
I'd think twice before getting another Olympus. A friends Sony P93 has the same resolution but a smaller lens. The pictures from the Sony are better quality than from my 5050 except in low light.
Where did you purchase the C5050 from ?
Have you ever made a true comparison of said cameras using the same angles, conditions and settings ?
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 4:00 AM   #8

I own a 5050 aswell, And I would say there is a bit of a noise problem with it.

I ALWAYS use ISO 64, since it is even slightly noticable there.

The noise shows up majorly in DARK areas of the picture, and it seems to be quite a bit worse when only using HQ mode (TIFF shows about the same as SHQ). THERE is a "Noise reduction setting" on the camera but its really only for long exposure shots.

BUT if you have a lot of light, the pictures turn out awesome, and If you turn the sharpness to -3 (Truthfully the pictures come out a bit to sharp to begin with) The noise dissapears greatly.

I love the 5050, The more i try out other digital cameras the more i like it aswell. It has a pretty short shooting delay and its Macro mode is very flexible. And ithas quite a wide area of vision (Only prob i find is its lack of a decent Telephoto)
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:07 PM   #9

Where did you purchase the C5050 from ?
Have you ever made a true comparison of said cameras using the same angles, conditions and settings

I purchased my 5050 from Circuit City. ANd yes I have made side by side comparisons of the 5050 with my old Fuji and my wife's Sony 828. I wouldn't want to carry that 828 around with me but picture quality is much better on the Sony. The old 1.3mp Fuji can't compare with the 5050 in most regards but the Fuji had much lower noise.
Justice4All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 6:38 PM   #10
blr

I am with Lexiticus. I've been a happy owner of C5050 for about 18 months. The noise is there but it can be counteracted by setting sharpness to -3 or even-5. It appears to me that the 5050 looks more noisy simply because (unlike many newer cameras) it doesn't apply overly agressive noise reduction to the images. They may be noisy but the resolution is very high. NeatImage does a nice job cleaning such noise.

My advice if you can still find one, go for it. It has many nice features such as super fast lens, AA cells compatibility and huge range of manual controls.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote